Allergy to hair dye can leave you ‘elephant faced’June 18th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 18 (ANI): A woman was left fighting for her breath after her face ballooned like an “elephant woman” following a horrible allergic reaction to hair dye.
Paula Pratt had to be treated with steroids and antihistamine tablets after her head and neck began to swell tremendously.
The 38-year-old said she followed the instructions on the 5 pound Clairol Nice ‘n Easy kit and carried out an allergy test before trying to turn her greying hair into a chocolate brown.
Though she faced no obvious problems then, her head, face and neck began swelling while her eyelids were forced shut the next evening.
“The swelling started travelling down my throat and it was hard to breathe,” The Sun quoted her as saying.
She added: “I went straight to see my GP. When I got there I looked like an alien with one side of my face going out like a rugby ball.
“He took one look at me and sent me straight to A & E. By the time I got there the other side of my face had swelled up too.
“I couldn’t see my ears. The swelling must have gone out about three inches on either side. It was terrifying. I looked like the elephant woman.”
Paula, a production manager from Bognor Regis, West Sussex, said she had no intentions of suing the brand but wanted “to make people aware of the reactions you can get.”
A Clairol spokeswoman said: “Allergic reactions are very rare. However, we recommend all consumers conduct a 48-hour test before each use of our colourant products.” (ANI)
- Kiss lands girl allergic to nuts in hospital - Jul 08, 2010
- 23-year-old woman ages 50 years in just days! - Oct 13, 2011
- How kissing can spread allergies too! - Nov 15, 2010
- Julie McCabe goes into coma after an allergic reaction to hair dye - Nov 23, 2011
- Beware: A kiss could trigger allergic reaction - Nov 21, 2010
- Courteney Cox helms beauty blog - Jul 13, 2011
- Meet the US woman who has spent $100K on 52 cosmetic procedures! - Apr 06, 2011
- A woman allergic to money, rainfall and more - Aug 23, 2010
- Bald and beautiful: Women take the bold cut (Feature) - Nov 14, 2011
- 7-years-old boy suffers two heart attacks because of a nut allergy - Jan 28, 2011
- British woman allergic to water - Mar 13, 2012
- Dead woman breathes again after being placed in the morgue - Sep 28, 2011
- Cricket fans, go easy on face paint and wear cotton! - Mar 03, 2011
- Michelle Williams loves short hair - Nov 04, 2011
- Former Playboy Model guilty of toilet attack in nightclub - Dec 24, 2009
Tags: alien, allergic reaction, allergic reactions, allergy test, amp, antihistamine tablets, bognor regis west sussex, chocolate, clairol, ears, elephant, elephant woman, eyelids, greying hair, hair dye, pratt, rugby ball, spokeswoman, steroids, sussex