Alleged Libyan rape victim says she was freed after medical test proved her storyApril 5th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Tripoli, Apr 5 (ANI): Libyan woman Eman al Obaidi, who has accused government troops of raping her in Tripoli, said she was released from three days of questioning only after a medical exam proved she was telling the truth.
Obaidi was forcefully removed from a Tripoli hotel on March 26, after she told media persons that she has been raped by 15 members of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s security forces.
In a recent interview Obaidi said that after being removed from the hotel, her questioners poured water on her face and threw food at her. She said the interrogations ended only after a doctor examined her to prove the rape charges.
“And, when the test came, it verified that I was raped and tortured, and then I was freed,” The New York Post quoted Obaidi, as saying.
She did not give her present location, but did say she had spent time with her family in Tripoli.
However, her father said he had not spoken with her since last Wednesday and has no idea where she is.
Obaidi also said she cannot leave the house where she is staying because member of the police or the army would pursue her and “mentally torture” her.
Obaidi, a native of Benghazi, earlier told journalists that she was detained at a checkpoint in Tripoli for two days, and endured beatings and rape by 15 members of government security forces, before managing to escape.
She showed the journalists bruises on her face, scars on her thigh and legs, marks on her hands and feet. Other women were still detained, she said.
As Obaidi tried to tell her story, security guards and hotel staff physically intervened. They became hostile toward her and the journalists. Security forces then forced Obaidi into a white car and drove her away, beating some journalists who tried to protect her. (ANI)
- Libya frees woman allegedly raped by militia after branding her a 'prostitute' - Mar 28, 2011
- Senior cop, four others arrested for rape and torture of Libyan woman - Mar 28, 2011
- Libya rape claim woman now facing criminal charges - Mar 30, 2011
- Four NYT journalists missing in Libya - Mar 17, 2011
- Libyan gang rape victim reveals details of torture by pro-Gaddafi men - Apr 13, 2011
- Alleged rape victim still held by Gaddafi: Family - Mar 29, 2011
- Foreign journalists targeted by Gaddafi's men after gang-rape claim by Libyan woman - Mar 27, 2011
- 'Fuelled by Viagra' Gaddafi forces using rape as weapon against rebel children, women - Apr 26, 2011
- BBC journalists face torture, mock execution by Gaddafi's regime - Mar 10, 2011
- Fighter plane shot down, rebels evicted from Benghazi (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Gaddafi brutalizes rebel forces near Tripoli, claims control of town - Mar 05, 2011
- Reporters imprisoned in Libya - Aug 24, 2011
- US journalist detained in Libya phones parents - Apr 23, 2011
- Rebel army formed in bid to oust Gaddafi - Feb 27, 2011
- Qaddafi's grip slipping in Libya, opposition takes control security in some pockets - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: beatings, colonel muammar gaddafi, face scars, government security forces, government troops, hands and feet, hotel staff, interrogations, media persons, medical exam, medical test, muammar gaddafi, new york post, questioners, rape charges, rape victim, security guards, telling the truth, tripoli, white car