Alleged Indian underworld member arrested in BangladeshJune 7th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, June 7 (DPA) Bangladeshi detectives Sunday arrested another member of an Indian underworld gang purportedly led by Kaskar Dawood Ibrahim, who is suspected of expanding a crime network in the country.
The police said they captured Arief Hussein, an Indian national, in a pre-dawn raid at a house in Mohammadpur outskirts of the city where he had been residing for the last nine years.
“We suspect Arief, a member of the gang, was linked with a number of killings in India,” Mahbub Alam, a deputy commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police said, adding that Arief fled India after he was accused in the murder of a Mumbai businessman in 2000.
Since his arrival in Dhaka, Arief has been operating under Chhota Shakil, the second-in-command of Dawood Ibrahim’s gang, wanted by the Indian government and the Interpol, police said.
He was in charge of recruiting members of the gang in Bangladesh, police said.
On May 27, the police arrested Abdur Rouf Merchant, a convicted killer of Indian music magnate Gulshan Kumar, and Jahid Sheikh, an aide of Mumbai mafia boss Dawood Ibrahim, at eastern Brahmanbaria district.
Arief was trying to arrange legal defence to get the two released from custody, a police officer said.
After the capture of Merchant, police said, Dawood Ibrahim sent his aides apparently to expand his criminal network in Bangladesh.
Merchant was sent to Bangladesh by Dawood Ibrahim, city police chief A.S.M. Shahidul Islam said. He was suspected of links with a smuggling case involving 10 truckloads of weapons that were seized by the police at Bangladesh’s prime Chittagong port in 2004.
- Dawood eyeing criminal network in Bangladesh: Police - May 30, 2009
- 'Dawood Ibrahim network in Bangladesh since 1995' - Jun 03, 2009
- Dawood brother was not attacked, say police (Second Lead) - May 18, 2011
- No threat of mafia gang war in Mumbai: R.R. Patil - May 18, 2011
- Police custody for Kaskar driver's shooters (Third Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim: Bangladesh police (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- Bangladesh politicians, businessmen supporting Dawood Ibrahim - Jun 08, 2009
- 'Dawood Ibrahim has agents in Bangladesh' - Jun 01, 2009
- Kaskar attack: Seven booked under stringent law - Sep 14, 2011
- Kaskar attack: Custody of two accused extended - Jun 06, 2011
- Music baron Gulshan Kumar's killer nabbed in Bangladesh - May 29, 2009
- Dhaka probing Gulshan Kumar killer's terror links (Lead) - May 29, 2009
- Militant network in Bangladesh has collapsed: Dhaka police - Oct 03, 2009
- Dhaka to probe banks that brought in Dawood Ibrahim money - Jun 09, 2009
- Iqbal Kaskar not at shootout site, claim Mumbai police (Lead) - May 18, 2011
Tags: chittagong port, city police chief, dawn raid, dawood ibrahim, deputy commissioner, detectives, dhaka, indian government, indian music, jahid, killings, legal defence, mafia boss, magnate, mahbub, metropolitan police, nine years, outskirts, pre dawn, truckloads