All-female US Air Force team launches historic mission in AfghanistanApril 4th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
Bagram Airfield (Afghanistan) Apr.4 (ANI): A team of female US Airmen has made history in Afghanistan, by planning, maintaining and flying the first all-woman combat mission from the Bagram Airfield.
The two-plane mission known as the “Dudette 07″, provided air support for coalition and Afghan ground forces in the Kunar Valley, west of the Pakistan border, in support of a large Army operation that was underway.
Both pilots and both weapons systems officers aboard the F-15E Strike Eagles were women.
Col. Kenneth Tilley, the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing historian said that this mission represents the first combat mission on record to involve only female Airmen.
“I have flown with female pilots before, but this was the first time I have flown in an all female flight, this wasn’t a possibility when I started flying 11-years ago,” Defence talk quoted Maj. Christine Mau, a 455th AEW executive officer, as saying.
While planning of the mission required support from women at all levels such as Capt. Kristen Wehle, the F-15 liaison officer at the combined air operations center, those involved evoked memories of legendary Women’s Army Corps pilots and others for inspiration.
“Women’s history means a celebration of the equality we have today in the military,” said Capt. Jennifer Morton, a 389th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron weapons officer. “It makes me think back and find inspiration from heroes like Col. Jeannie Flynn.”
“The four women officers represents only a portion of the women who supported this mission making it the first all female from tasking to completion combat sortie to date,” said Capt. Leigh Larkin, s 389th EFS weapons systems officer.
“Dudette 07″ was set up as an all-female mission in honour of Women’s History Month. (ANI)
- Chinese women fly most advanced fighter jet - Aug 18, 2012
- Woman officer leads IAF contingent - Jan 26, 2012
- IAF commanders assess force levels - Oct 12, 2011
- 'India to buy more than 16 C-17 airlifters' - Jun 14, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Operating Sukhois: A Malaysia-India-Russia love story - May 17, 2010
- First supersonic flight by US short-takeoff stealth fighter - Jun 15, 2010
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- Indian Air Force gears up to celebrate its 78th anniversary - Oct 06, 2010
- Discovery to air Indian Army Women's Everest Expedition (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Discovery to cover Indian Army women's Everest bid - May 26, 2012
- US air force commander removed amid widening sex scandal - Aug 11, 2012
- Romance costs another Canadian commander his job - Jul 10, 2010
- Air India's all-women crew flights to 3 continents Thursday - Mar 07, 2012
- Chinese air force trains 300 women pilots - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: 15e strike eagles, air operations, army corps, army operation, bagram airfield afghanistan, combat mission, dudette, efs, female pilots, fighter squadron, four women, history month, jeannie, jennifer morton, kunar, larkin, legendary women, liaison officer, pakistan border, weapons systems