All 29 kidnapped Chinese in Sudan freedFebruary 8th, 2012 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 8 (IANS) All 29 Chinese nationals abducted by rebels in Sudan last month have been released after 11 days in captivity, Xinhua reported.
The Chinese were held Jan 28 after gunmen from the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement attacked a camp of workers of a Chinese company operating at a road construction site near Sudan’s Al-Abbasiya Tagali town in the volatile South Kordofan state.
A total of 47 Chinese were in the camp, among whom 29 were abducted by the gunmen.
The other 18 managed to fled to nearby areas. Later, 17 were found by the Sudanese army and taken to a safe place, and one was confirmed dead after having been missing for days.
Sudanese authorities Tuesday handed over the body of the dead Chinese worker to the Chinese side.
The workers Tuesday boarded a plane chartered by the Red Cross in Sudan shortly after being released by the rebels. They reached Kenyan capital Nairobi in the evening.
The freed people are expected to set off for China after a short stay in Nairobi.
Qiu Xuejun, head of the Chinese team in Sudan to assist the rescue operation, said: “The 29 people are generally in sound physical condition and in stable moods. After a brief adjustment in Kenya, they will be arranged to fly home as soon as possible.”
The Chinese foreign ministry late Tuesday issued a statement, expressing appreciation and sincere gratitude for the efforts made in the peaceful and safe rescue work by relevant parties, including Sudan South Sudan, the Red Cross, Kenya, the UN and other organisations.
- 29 Chinese held hostage after camp attacked in Sudan - Jan 29, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- Chinese engineer killed in Sudan - Oct 03, 2011
- Rain-triggered rockslide flattens Nairobi slum, killing 7 - Apr 05, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- Over 50 rebels killed in Blue Nile state: Sudanese army - Apr 22, 2012
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
- 31 killed in Sudanese plane crash - Aug 19, 2012
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- German aid workers freed in Darfur - Jul 28, 2010
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- Kenya minister killed in chopper crash - Jun 10, 2012
- Two Ugandan military helicopters crash-land in Kenya - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: abducted, chinese company, chinese nationals, chinese side, chinese team, chinese worker, expressing appreciation, gunmen, kenyan capital nairobi, kordofan, liberation movement, nearby areas, relevant parties, road construction, safe rescue, short stay, south sudan, sudanese army, sudanese authorities, xinhua