Alcohol can help you solve riddles fasterApril 12th, 2012 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 12 (IANS) Strange but true… scientists say that drinking some beer before solving brain teasers can help you do better than those who attempt the riddles in a sober state.
Alcohol clouds analytical thinking or so it is thought, but frees stifled ‘creative’ thoughts to well up, allowing subjects to come up with more imaginative insights or solutions.
University of Illinois psychologists set 40 healthy young men a series of brain teasers. They were given three words, such as coin, quick and spoon, and coming up with a fourth word that links the three - in this case silver, the journal of Consciousness and Cognition reports.
Half the group drank the equivalent of two pints of beer before doing the tests, while the rest carried them out sober, according to The Telegraph.
The drinking group solved nearly 40 percent more problems than the others, and took an average of 12 seconds compared to the 15.5 seconds needed by sober subjects.
The researchers said: “The current research represents the first demonstration of alcohol’s effect on creative problem solving.”
Study author Jennifer Wiley said: “The bottom line is that we think being too focused can blind you to novel possibilities, and a broader, more flexible state of attention is needed for creative solutions to emerge.”
- Frequent tipple halves rheumatoid arthritis risk - Jul 11, 2012
- Wills-Kat slap 'ban on beer' for their royal wedding reception - Apr 23, 2011
- Pill that makes people drink less alcohol - Mar 06, 2012
- Cheers! Drinking a pint of beer a day 'is good for your health' - Jan 14, 2011
- Alcohol 'can make you happy or sad depending on your genetic make-up' - Apr 05, 2011
- Few pegs make people seem more enticing - Apr 02, 2012
- Drinking at home is silent killer for Britons - Nov 02, 2011
- Brain activity predicts heavy drinking by teenagers - Aug 08, 2012
- Computers may one day solve problems as creatively as humans - Dec 02, 2010
- Medvedev signs bill classifying beer as alcohol - Jul 20, 2011
- 1 in 6 Brits has sworn off alcohol - Jan 28, 2011
- Britain's women soldiers told to drink responsibly - Jan 13, 2011
- Mystery of 'beer goggles' cracked - Aug 18, 2010
- Wine, beer doubles mouth cancer risk - Feb 05, 2012
- Alcohol, drugs can stifle artistic creativity - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: analytical thinking, brain teasers, case silver, consciousness and cognition, creative problem, creative solutions, creative thoughts, current research, drinking group, flexible state, fourth word, imaginative insights, psychologists, riddles, spoon, state alcohol, study author, two pints, university of illinois, wiley