Al Qaeda-trained child suicide bombers captured in IraqApril 22nd, 2009 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, April 22 (Xinhua) Iraqi security forces have captured four children trained as suicide bombers by Al Qaeda, police said Tuesday.
The children were captured in a village near the oil-rich city of Kirkuk, some 250 km north of Baghdad, it said.
The suspects, all aged under 14, were part of a larger cell known as “Birds of Paradise,” the source said, adding that they were being especially trained on how to avoid detention as they carry out attacks.
They were also being trained to aide the terrorist groups in detonating roadside bombs, he said.
Al Qaeda has previously recruited women and children to carry out attacks on US troops and Iraqi security forces.
The group started its first recruiting program of women and children in 2005, when dozens were brought to training camps in volatile areas in southern Baghdad and the province of Diyala in northeast of the capital.
The recruited youngsters, mostly aged nine to 14 years, stayed under restrict supervision of Al Qaeda members and were brainwashed by religious lessons on Jihad (Holy War).
In December, 2008, Major Al Hing from the Second Striker Brigade 25th Infantry Division said they discovered last March and April ” a conglomeration of cells … associated with the recruitment and implementation of youth suicide bombers.”
“In Tarmiya, we saw the Lions’ Club, Fatah al-Islam, Youth of Heaven and Youth of Paradise,” and also similar children suicide cells in the Taji area and in Falahat, according to Al Hing.
- Qaeda recruits children as suicide bombers in Iraq - Jan 16, 2009
- Over 40 killed in Iraq violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Former Saddam Hussein deputy captured in raid - Apr 25, 2010
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Iraqi Police capture four suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq leaders - Mar 11, 2010
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 13 killed in Iraq car bombing - Nov 28, 2011
- Seven die in Iraq bomb attack - May 22, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq suicide attacks - Apr 13, 2010
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Iraqi security forces arrest three suspected al-Qaeda in Iraq members - Jan 11, 2010
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: 25th infantry division, birds of paradise, child suicide bombers, conglomeration, diyala, fatah, fatah al islam, holy war, iraq baghdad, iraqi security, lions club, roadside bombs, security forces, striker, tarmiya, terrorist groups, training camps, xinhua, youth of heaven, youth suicide