Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in YemenAugust 5th, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a, Aug 5 (IANS) At least 20 people were killed and many injured when an Al Qaeda suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering of pro-government tribesmen in Yemen’s southern province of Abyan, Xinhua reported Sunday.
The bomber detonated his explosives belt at a funeral in Jaar town in Abyan late Saturday, an official said.
Abdulatif al-Saeed, leader of the tribal fighters who had supported government troops in the fight against Al Qaeda over the past few months, was killed in the bombing.
The attack took place less than an hour after a Yemeni-US coordinated airstrike killed four Al Qaeda militants in the southeastern province of Hadramout.
Backed by US troops, Yemen launched an offensive in May against the Al Qaeda, known locally as Ansar al-Sharia - or “Partisans of Islamic Law”.
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda stronghold - Jun 16, 2012
- Nine militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2012
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- 23 killed in Yemen attack - Apr 09, 2012
- Four killed in al-Qaeda ambush in south Yemen - Mar 11, 2011
- Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killed - Mar 19, 2012
- 13 Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Jul 04, 2011
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Dozens killed in fresh Yemen clashes - Jul 31, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011