Al Qaeda planning to kidnap more WesternersNovember 29th, 2011 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Algiers (Algeria), Nov 29 (IANS/AKI) The Al Qaeda is planning a “wave of abductions” of Westerners in North Africa, Algeria’s secret service agency has said.
The Department of Investigation and Security has informed Algeria’s neighbours that the Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) has a plan to kidnap Westerners in Sahel region, according Algerian daily el-Khabar.
The Sahel region comprises parts of many countries including Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Ethiopia and Eritrea.
The next kidnappings were slated to be carried out by Mauritanian terrorists.
The secret service believes recent abductions were carried out by a group headed by Algerian national Wahi Abdel Baqi.
European humanitarian aid workers — Italian woman Rossella Urru, Spanish woman Ainhoa Fernandez Rincon and Spanish man Enrico Gonyans — were abducted Oct 23 from western Algeria’s Rabuni camp, inhabited by refugees from Western Sahara.
- Spanish foreign minister visits Mali for hostage release - Mar 04, 2012
- Al Qaeda 'shopping for arms' in Africa - Nov 02, 2010
- US citizen held in Spain for funding Al Qaeda - Sep 30, 2010
- Spain refuses ransom to Al Qaeda - Jan 08, 2010
- Al-Qaeda 'banker' killed by security forces - Nov 23, 2010
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Al-Qaeda claims kidnapping seven foreigners in Niger - Sep 22, 2010
- North Africa poses greatest terrorist threat: Italian minister - Jan 20, 2010
- 'Al-Qaeda snatched missiles in Libya' - Mar 27, 2011
- 'Al Qaeda's branch AQIM gaining stronghold in North Africa' - Dec 18, 2010
- Al Qaeda releases video of French hostages - Apr 27, 2011
- Spanish hostages are fine: Al Qaeda - Jan 26, 2010
- S. American drug gangs funding al-Qaeda terrorists - Dec 30, 2010
- Al Qaeda claims kidnapping Italians in Mauritania - Dec 29, 2009
- Singer's album urges reopening of Algeria-Morocco border - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: abducted, abductions, algiers algeria, aqim, burkina faso, humanitarian aid workers, islamic maghreb, italian woman, kidnappings, neighbours, niger nigeria, north africa, rincon, secret service, spanish man, spanish woman, wahi, western algeria, western sahara, westerners