Al Qaeda planned to attack Gibraltar during OlympicsAugust 6th, 2012 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS) Three suspected Al Qaeda terrorists arrested in Spain were reportedly planning to launch a devastating attack from the air on a busy shopping centre in British colony Gibraltar during the Olympics.
Spanish officials said two of the suspects are Chechen Russians and one is a Turk, the Daily Mail reported.
The El Pais newspaper said the Turkish engineer, Cengiz Yalcin, was a paraglider and model aeroplane enthusiast and was learning how to fly.
The two Russians - Eldar Magomedov, said to be a former member of Soviet Union Special Forces, and Mohamed Ankari Adamov - were learning how to pilot a small plane.
Madrid daily newspaper La Razon said Magomedov, considered by Western secret services as one of the most dangerous Al Qaeda, was a highly trained expert in making car bombs, carrying out attacks with aircraft and in trains and underground rail systems.
Yalcin asked his paragliding instructor for aerial photographs of a shopping mall in Gibraltar whatever it cost him.
Investigators found a video where Yalvin is seen flying a remote-controlled plane.
The terror group was not specified, but Spanish authorities said it was Al Qaeda.
Evidence provided by Russia linked Magomedov with international terrorist organisations and that he had been in Pakistan and Afghanistan in 2010.
Magomedov sometimes acted under the pseudonym “Muslin Dost”.
Both men entered Spain in April or May and allegedly took paragliding lessons. They were allegedly heading to France when police arrested them in Ciudad Real city.
Neither had any identification documents but each is known by several aliases.
- Russian journalist charged with creating armed group - Apr 28, 2012
- Spain to seek dialogue with Britain over Gibraltar - May 24, 2012
- Spain confirms mutual expulsion of diplomats with Russia - Dec 29, 2010
- Gibraltar to decide its own future, Britain tells Spain - Feb 22, 2012
- Wills, Kate asked to save seat for guest from Gibraltar - Mar 15, 2011
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Spain's interior minister calls for reforms to combat jihadists - Aug 10, 2012
- Spanish foreign minister visits Mali for hostage release - Mar 04, 2012
- Anwar al-Awlaki plotting attacks on UK - Mar 01, 2011
- Russia expels two Spanish diplomats in response to expulsion of two Russian diplomats - Dec 29, 2010
- Spanish embassies tighten security after Osama's death - May 04, 2011
- 'Al Qaeda's branch AQIM gaining stronghold in North Africa' - Dec 18, 2010
- Spanish aircraft launch mission in Libya - Mar 22, 2011
- Suspected Al-Qaeda members held in Spain - Aug 02, 2012
- Firm asks US court to block handover of treasure to Spain - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: adamov, aerial photographs, car bombs, daily mail, devastating attack, gibraltar, la razon, madrid daily newspaper, model aeroplane, paraglider, paragliding instructor, paragliding lessons, pseudonym, remote controlled plane, russians, shopping centre, spanish authorities, spanish officials, terror group, terrorist organisations