Al Qaeda No.2 hiding in Pakistan, says reportMay 13th, 2009 - 4:25 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 13 (IANS) Al Qaeda’s second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri, who is on the run with $25 million bounty on his head, is hiding near Quetta in southwest Pakistan, a media report said.
Al-Zawahiri is considered a master of disguise and meticulous planner of the Al Qaeda terrorist network.
The Egyptian-born radical roams freely in the border areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, the Washington Times said Tuesday citing Pakistani intelligence officials, who shared their knowledge of al-Zawahiri’s location with the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency).
Al-Zawahiri’s recent movements have been tracked with some specificity. He was positively identified in North Waziristan in June 2008, and the locations where he conducted high-level meetings have also been established, the report said.
However, subsequent US drone attacks forced him to move to South Waziristan in August 2008. Thereafter, he moved south to Balochistan and crossed into Afghanistan from the border city of Zhob.
He returned to Pakistan’s Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA) in December or January and may have recently relocated outside Quetta, the capital of Balochistan.
According to intelligence sources, he has given up the trappings of a high-value target, has no large entourage and moves his wives frequently to prevent any identification.
- Zawahiri in Pakistan, claims report - May 13, 2009
- Al Qaeda No 2 dead: US - Jun 06, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Al Qaeda accuses Arab leaders of surrender to Israel - Jul 20, 2010
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- US within reach of defeating Al Qaeda: Panetta - Jul 09, 2011
- Bin Laden, Zawahiri might be in hiding in Pak's Bajaur Agency: Musharraf to McCain - Dec 03, 2010
- Who runs Al Qaeda 'barely matters': US - Jun 17, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri, who calls Pakistan a US colony, to head Al Qaeda (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda barely matters: US (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: ayman al zawahiri, balochistan, border areas, border city, central intelligence agency, cia central intelligence agency, drone, fata, intelligence officials, intelligence sources, level meetings, master of disguise, north waziristan, quetta, south waziristan, target, terrorist network, tribal area, washington times, zhob