Al Qaeda-linked terrorist held in MalaysiaJune 11th, 2011 - 12:51 am ICT by IANS
Johor, June 10 (IANS/AKI) An Indonesian linked with an Al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit has been arrested in Malaysia, police said Friday.
Abdul Haris bin Shuhadi is linked to the Southeast Asian terror group Jemaah Islamiah, Indonesian national police spokesperson Anton Bachrul Alam said.
“This man has been a member of Jemaah Islamiah since 1981 and all of his activities have been under intelligence surveillance for years. He was nabbed once he reactivated his cell phone there,” he said.
Bin Shuhadi gave up his Indonesian citizenship last year and has since been living in the Malaysian state of Selangor.
He is being held under Malaysia’s Internal Security Act and may be questioned without a lawyer for 60 days, Alam said.
Jemaah Islamiah has been blamed for a string of terrorist attacks in Indonesia including the October 2002 Bali nightclub bombing that killed 202 people and injured 240.
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- 2002 Bali bombing suspect arrested - Jun 14, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Radical Indonesian cleric Bashir arrested on terror charges - Aug 09, 2010
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- DNA tests in Indonesia confirm death of terrorist Noordin Top - Sep 19, 2009
- 35 cyber criminals held in Indonesia - Sep 28, 2011
- Suicide blast in Indonesian mosque injures 28 - Apr 15, 2011
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Indonesian cops criticised for killing terrorists - Mar 20, 2012
- Militants whip drunk Malians 80 times - Jul 11, 2012
- 10 arrested in Malaysian anti-terror raid targeted places of worship - Jun 17, 2010
- Indonesian cleric jailed for 15 years for terror acts - Jun 16, 2011
- Islamist militants wanted to film and broadcast cathedral explosion in Indonesia - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, alam, bali nightclub bombing, cell phone, citizenship, haris, indonesia, intelligence surveillance, internal security act, johor, lawyer, malaysia police, national police, police spokesperson, state of selangor, terror group, terrorist attacks, vm