Al Qaeda leaders were in Karachi on 9/11: WikiLeaksApril 25th, 2011 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 25 (IANS) Some senior Al Qaeda leaders were in Pakistan’s Karachi city Sep 11, 2001 and most returned to Afghanistan within a day, Washington Post reported Monday citing documents accessed by WikiLeaks.
The media report said that core Al Qaeda leaders were in Karachi. While one of them was recovering at a hospital from a tonsillectomy and another was buying lab equipment for a biological weapons programme, key Al Qaeda members were watching the scenes from New York and Washington on television.
But, within a day, most were on their way back to Afghanistan.
Classified military documents have been accessed by WikiLeaks that show the whereabouts of Al Qaeda leaders Sep 11, 2001, and later.
The documents speak of a major gathering of some of Al Qaeda’s senior operatives in early December 2001 in Afghanistan’s mountainous Zormat region.
The leaders who gathered there planned new attacks.
The documents show that just four days after 9/11, Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden went to a guesthouse in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
He told the guerrillas there “to defend Afghanistan against the infidel invaders” and to “fight in the name of Allah”.
For the next three months, bin Laden and his confidant Ayman al Zawahiri travelled by car to several areas in Afghanistan. It was during that time that he delegated control of Al Qaeda to the group’s Shura Council.
Osama bin Laden and Zawahiri also used a secret guesthouse in or relatively close to the Afghan capital Kabul. Bin Laden met a string of visitors and gave orders.
Bin Laden alongwith Zawahiri and a few close associates escaped to his Tora Bora cave complex in November.
He and his deputy left Tora Bora in mid-December 2001.
The media report said that during that time, bin Laden was apparently so strapped for cash that he borrowed $7,000 from one of his protectors. He, however, returned the money within a year.
Washington Post said there were few geographic references in the WikiLeaks documents for bin Laden after his flight into Pakistan.
- Osama did not escape to Pakistan, but headed north: GITMO documents - Apr 26, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Osama's will forbade his children from jihad, wives from remarrying - May 04, 2011
- Bin Laden, Zawahiri might be in hiding in Pak's Bajaur Agency: Musharraf to McCain - Dec 03, 2010
- Bin Laden, deputy hiding in Pakistan, says NATO official - Oct 18, 2010
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Osama must have moved to Abbottabad recently: Pakistani envoy - May 02, 2011
- Osama bin Laden's cook sent to 14 years in prison - Aug 12, 2010
- ISI, Pakistan Army knew about Osama hideout: WikiLeaks - Feb 28, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Bin Laden, deputy, living in luxury in northwest Pak protected by ISI: NATO official - Oct 18, 2010
- US, Pakistan struck deal on Osama raid in 2001 - May 10, 2011
- Pakistani army dismisses WikiLeaks' Osama allegations - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: afghan capital kabul, ayman al zawahiri, biological weapons, close associates, confidant, guerrillas, guesthouse, kandahar province, karachi city, military documents, name of allah, operatives, report said that, sep 11 2001, shura council, time bin, tonsillectomy, tora bora, washington post, wikileaks