Al-Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula claims ‘cargo bombs’ responsibilityNovember 6th, 2010 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 6 (ANI): Militant group al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed responsibility for sending two parcel bombs on cargo planes bound for the US last week, in messages on Islamist websites.
According to the BBC, the Yemen-based group also said that it was responsible for bringing down an American cargo plane in Dubai in September, adding that it would continue to target the US and its allies.
In a message directed at US President Barack Obama, AQAP said: “We have struck three blows at your aeroplanes in a single year. And God willing, we will continue to strike our blows against American interests and the interests of America’s allies.”
The messages further accused the Saudi authorities of thwarting the attack and of “collaboration with the Jews”.
Last week’s bombs were made safe after being discovered on flights from Yemen, which landed in Dubai and the UK. The two devices sent on October 29 were intercepted after a tip-off from an al-Qaeda member who handed himself over in Saudi Arabia, UK officials said.
The packages, which contained the powerful explosive PETN concealed in printer ink cartridges, were addressed to synagogues in Chicago. Security forces in Yemen are hunting for AQAP’s suspected bomb maker, Ibrahim al-Asiri, in connection with the plot, the report said. (ANI)
- 'Wedding gift is being delivered' message foiled Al-Qaeda parcel bomb plot - Nov 01, 2010
- Earlier flight might have been dry run for parcel bomb plotters - Nov 02, 2010
- Pak airports on high terror alert following foiled Al-Qaeda parcel bomb plot - Nov 03, 2010
- Al Qaeda targets Christmas, plans to make toy bomb - Nov 07, 2010
- Yemen bomb went on two passenger jets: Qatar Airways (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- UK officials deny 'Yemen bomb defused 17 minutes before scheduled explosion' - Nov 05, 2010
- Canada lists Yemen-based al-Qaeda group as terrorist organization - Dec 24, 2010
- New issue of Al Qaeda magazine signals shift to smaller-scale attacks - Nov 22, 2010
- Saudis warned US of attack before mail bomb plots - Nov 06, 2010
- Al Qaeda's Al Asiri said to be Yemen parcel bombmaker - Oct 31, 2010
- 'Qaeda terror bombs 50 times more powerful than needed to blow hole in aircraft fuselage' - Nov 02, 2010
- Dubai parcel bomb was flown in on two passenger planes - Nov 01, 2010
- Saudis warned US before discovery of parcel bomb plot - Nov 06, 2010
- Al Qaeda plans explosion in UK during Christmas - Nov 07, 2010
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: aeroplanes, al qaeda, al qaeda in arabian peninsula, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, american cargo, american interests, aqap, asiri, barack obama, cargo plane, cargo planes, militant group, parcel bombs, petn, printer ink cartridges, saudi arabia, saudi authorities, security forces, synagogues, uk officials