Al Qaeda has 6,000 suicide bombers in Iraq: DocumentsMay 6th, 2008 - 8:12 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, May 6 (DPA) Iraqi security forces have found documents purported to belong to the Al Qaeda terrorist network in Iraq’s Diyala province, which include names of 6,000 alleged suicide bombers in the country, an official newspaper said Tuesday. “The documents reveal that 6,000 people, most of them Arab and Afghan nationals, were involved in suicide bombings in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003,” Sheikh Sabah Shukr al-Shumary, the spokesman for the Awakening Councils of Baquba Clans, was quoted by al-Sabah newspaper as saying.
Awakening Councils are police units set up by clans and backed by the US military to fight Sunni extremist insurgents loyal to Al Qaeda mainly in Sunni-dominated provinces.
The spokesman said the documents revealed that widows of suicide bombers in Diyala were invited to join the terror group.
Al-Shumary added that intelligence information indicated the presence of training camps in the Hamrin mountains in Baquba, where 15 women are being trained for suicide bombing operations.
Four suicide bombings were carried out by women in the last two months in Baquba, the capital of Diyala, 60 km north-east of the country’s capital Baghdad.
- Former Saddam Hussein deputy captured in raid - Apr 25, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- One killed in sticky bomb attack in Iraq - Nov 21, 2011
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- 40 killed in suicide attacks in Iraq (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
- 10 killed, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Mar 03, 2010
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Islamist insurgent group claims killing 25 US soldiers - Jun 21, 2010
- 36 killed in Baghdad suicide bombing - Jul 18, 2010
- 17 killed in two Iraq attacks - Dec 01, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, al sabah, bombings in iraq, clans, diyala province, dpa, extremist, insurgents, iraqi security, last two months, police units, security forces, sheikh sabah, shukr, suicide bombers in iraq, suicide bombings in iraq, terror group, terrorist network, training camps, widows