Al Qaeda financier held in YemenJune 14th, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Sanaa, June 14 (DPA) Yemeni police have detained a Saudi man suspected to be the main financier of Al Qaeda operations in Yemen and neighbouring Saudi Arabia, the defence ministry said Sunday.
It said in a statement posted on its website that the suspect, identified as Hassan Hussein bin Alwan, was “the financier of the operations carried out by members of Al Qaeda in Yemen and Saudi Arabia”.
It further described him as “one of the most dangerous Al Qaeda terrorists”. The statement gave no further details on the suspect or location of the arrest.
A security source told DPA that the arrest took place in the desert province of Marib, some 190 km northwest of the capital Sanaa Friday.
In January, Yemen launched a countrywide manhunt for Yemeni and Saudi fugitive Al Qaeda members after the group announced the merger of its branches in Yemen and Saudi Araiba into the ‘Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula’.
The new group, headed by Nasser al-Wahishi, former secretary of Osama bin Laden, is believed to have some 1,200 militants from both countries hiding in four desert provinces in north and east of Yemen.
Yemen, a close US-ally in the “fight against terrorism”, was itself the scene of deadly attacks in recent months.
- Al Qaeda leader urges Yemeni tribes to fight government - Feb 20, 2009
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- Al Qaeda declares support for uprising in southern Yemen - May 14, 2009
- Five Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Sep 27, 2010
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Al Qaeda leader surrenders in Yemen - Jun 07, 2010
- 30 Al Qaeda suspects arrested in Yemen - Jul 17, 2010
- Yemeni airstrike kills six Al Qaeda suspects - Jan 15, 2010
- Al Qaeda blows up gas pipeline in Yemen - Sep 14, 2010
- Yemeni governor stabbed during protest riot - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, ally, alwan, araiba, defence ministry, desert, dpa, financier, hassan hussein, june 14, manhunt, merger, militants, nasser, neighbouring, osama bin laden, sanaa, saudi arabia, security source