Al Qaeda deputy rejects Obama’s overtures to MuslimsApril 20th, 2009 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, April 20 (DPA) Deputy Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri rejected US President Barack Obama’s overtures to the Muslim world in remarks circulated Monday.
“America came to us with a new face, attempting to fool us with it,” al-Zawahiri said of Obama in remarks posted on militant websites and circulated by the Washington-based SITE Institute Monday.
Obama’s face was “a face that calls for change, but to change us, so that we give up our faith and our rights, not to change their crimes”, al-Zawahiri said.
The 57-year-old, Egyptian-born doctor, Al Qaeda’s chief ideologue and Osama bin Laden’s right-hand man, further criticised Obama’s plans to increase the number of US soldiers in Afghanistan, saying they would “add fuel to the fire”.
Al-Zawahiri urged tribal leaders in the Pashtun tribal regions straddling the Pakistani-Afghan border not to make deals with the Pakistani government, saying the government “was cheating” them at the US’ behest.
- Al Qaeda accuses Arab leaders of surrender to Israel - Jul 20, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda 'barely matters': US - Jun 17, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda barely matters: US (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- Clinton chose wrong place for Zawahiri claim: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- US within reach of defeating Al Qaeda: Panetta - Jul 09, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: afghan border, al qaeda, ayman al zawahiri, barack obama, behest, cairo, dpa, fuel to the fire, ideologue, militant websites, muslim world, muslims, new face, osama bin laden, overtures, pakistani government, qaeda leader, right hand man, site institute, tribal leaders