Al Qaeda ‘coordinator’ killed in RussiaAugust 31st, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Makhachkala/Moscow, Aug 31 (RIA Novosti) One of the two militants killed in a shootout with the security forces in the Russian North Caucasus republic of Dagestan was an Algerian-born member of Al Qaeda, an official said Monday.
The militants were killed late Sunday in an operation carried out by the Federal Security Service (FSS) near the town of Khasavyurt, close to the border with Chechnya.
Two officers were injured in the clash, the FSS official said Monday.
“A foreign mercenary killed in the special operation has been identified. He is an Algerian national, Al Qaeda’s coordinator in Dagestan, known among the militants as Doctor Muhammad,” the official said.
Another security source in Dagestan said the Al Qaeda militant held French citizenship.
Doctor Muhammad had arranged for infiltrations of militants into Dagestan and neighbouring Ingushetia from Georgia and Azerbaijan.
He is known to have arrived in Russia’s North Caucasus in 1999 via Georgia. He was a member of the international terrorist Hattab’s group until 2007, responsible for organising a terrorist network in Chechnya.
“In 2007, he was sent to Dagestan with instructions to bring the local gangs under control, to ensure their funding from abroad and arrange for channels for militants to infiltrate into the republic,” an official said.
In the republic’s capital, Makhachkala, gunmen killed a police officer early Monday. “The criminals knocked at the door where the police officer lived and shot him five times,” a police spokesman said.
Militant attacks on troops, police and other officials have been reported almost daily in Dagestan and Russia’s other mainly Muslim North Caucasus republics in recent months.
On Aug 17, Ingushetia was rocked by a suicide bombing which killed at least 24 police officers and injured 136 others.
Following the blast, Ingushetia’s president, Yunus-Bek Yevkurov, returned to the republic after spending two months in Moscow recovering from serious injuries sustained in a car bomb attack on his motorcade earlier.
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- 13 militants killed in Russia's Dagestan - Sep 13, 2010
- Six militants killed in Russia - May 13, 2012
- Five policemen among seven killed in Chechnya suicide blasts - Aug 31, 2011
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Five police officers killed in Russia's volatile North Caucasus - Feb 02, 2011
- Russian jailed for 14 years for 2010 bombing - May 31, 2012
- Two police officers among 12 killed in Chechnya - Aug 29, 2010
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- Russia killed 300 militants in North Caucasus in 2011 - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,