Al Qaeda chief wants ‘9/11′ of his ownSeptember 10th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 10 (IANS) Ayman al-Zawahiri, the successor to Al Qaeda’s founder Osama bin Laden, on the 10th anniversary of the deadly 9/11 strike has ordered an attack to “cement his control” over the terror outfit, a media report said.
The 60-year-old al-Zawahiri reportedly believes pulling off his own terror attack in the US will see off rivals plotting to seize the leadership, The Sun said.
New York and Washington have been put on maximum alert after intelligence experts uncovered a truck bomb threat.
Janice Fedarcyk of the FBI said: “Al Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries. In this instance, it is accurate that there is credible, specific but unconfirmed information.”
A former Egyptian surgeon, al-Zawahiri was bin Laden’s loyal deputy and considered the mastermind behind Al Qaeda.
He took over the terror outfit after bin Laden was killed by US Navy Seals at his Pakistan hideout in May.
Unnamed US officials have confirmed that al-Zawahiri was behind the current alert.
The information said vehicles could be used to blow up bridges and tunnels as the US prepares to honour the 3,000 killed in 2001 with programmes at New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri, who calls Pakistan a US colony, to head Al Qaeda (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Al Qaeda posts video on 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- Ayman al-Zawahiri, America's new most wanted - May 05, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda No 2 dead: US - Jun 06, 2012
- Al Qaeda had planned major attacks in Pakistan: CIA - Apr 27, 2012
- Osama was communicating with other terrorists: US - May 12, 2011
Tags: 10th anniversary, al qaeda, anniversaries, ayman al zawahiri, bomb threat, bridges and tunnels, fbi, hideout, honour, important dates, intelligence experts, janice, mastermind, maximum alert, osama bin laden, pakistan, rivals, terror attack, truck bomb, us navy seals