Al-Maliki extends deadline for Shia militia’s surrenderMarch 28th, 2008 - 6:37 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, March 28 (DPA) Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki extended Friday the deadline until April 8 for the Shia militia to lay down weapons, media reports said. Al-Jazeera news channel said al-Maliki, who has launched an assault against militants in the southern city of Basra, has extended the time for the Mahdi Army, loyal to radical Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, to surrender weapons by April 8.
On Wednesday, al-Maliki set a 72-hour deadline for the militants to lay down arms or face “severe penalties”.
Meanwhile, clashes between Iraqi security forces and Shia fighters in Basra raged Friday for the fourth day as unrest spread to other Shia cities and Baghdad.
On Tuesday, heavy fighting broke out in Basra, Iraq’s second largest city, as Iraqi ground forces backed by US air and ground support launched a large-scale operation to break the grip of Shia militias and criminal gangs controlling the city.
Nearly 30,000 Iraqi soldiers and police officers are involved in the operation, which is directed by al-Maliki, who is the general commander of the armed forces.
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard aided Iraqi militias during second Gulf War - Oct 23, 2010
- Al-Maliki ends security operations against Shia militia - Apr 04, 2008
- New Maliki govt with anti-US Shiite Islamic support could complicate Iraq-US relationship - Oct 02, 2010
- Iraqi parliamentary race remains close - Mar 15, 2010
- At least 25 killed, dozens injured in clashes in Basra - Mar 25, 2008
- Early Iraq poll results show tight race - Mar 13, 2010
- Rival edges past al-Maliki in Iraq's vote count - Mar 20, 2010
- Biden pays surprise visit to Iraq - Nov 30, 2011
- Iraqi army begins fresh crackdown on Shia fighters - Jun 19, 2008
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Iraqi premier gives militants a week to surrender - Jun 25, 2008
- Iraqi forces amass for crackdown in south - Jun 15, 2008
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera news, al jazeera news channel, al sadr, baghdad, basra iraq, clashes, cleric, criminal gangs, hour deadline, iraqi security, iraqi soldiers, mahdi army, militants, militia, militias, nuri al maliki, police officers, security forces, unrest