Al-Maliki ends security operations against Shia militiaApril 4th, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, April 4 (DPA) Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ordered an end to security operations against the Shia militia loyal to radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr Friday to allow militants to lay down arms. In a statement issued by the prime minister’s office, al-Maliki said the move was aimed at the restoration of security across Iraq. It would also allow a chance for all militants to lay down arms and hand over their weapons, the statement said.
Iraqi families, who had left their houses during the attacks, would be able to get back to their homes.
Al-Maliki launched an offensive against fighters of al-Sadr’s Mahdi Army militia on March 25 in Basra.
Sadr City in Baghdad, a stronghold of the Mahdi Army, has also been the scene of heavy fighting between Iraqi and US troops and the militia.
Hundreds of people were killed in the fighting in Basra and Baghdad.
Earlier, al-Sadr said that the Sadrists were ready to cooperate with the Iraqi forces to clear all criminal gangs from Iraq’s cities.
- Iraqi factions sign peace pact proposed by radical Shiite cleric - Dec 25, 2011
- Anti-U.S. cleric Muqtada al-Sadr returns to Iraq - Jan 06, 2011
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- New Maliki govt with anti-US Shiite Islamic support could complicate Iraq-US relationship - Oct 02, 2010
- Iraqis stage demonstration after Gates 'US military to stay for years' remark - Apr 10, 2011
- Iran openly backs Iraqi PM Maliki for second term - Oct 19, 2010
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard aided Iraqi militias during second Gulf War - Oct 23, 2010
- Iraqi premier gives militants a week to surrender - Jun 25, 2008
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- Al-Maliki extends deadline for Shia militia's surrender - Mar 28, 2008
- Al-Sadr threatens 'open war' with Iraq government - Apr 20, 2008
- Iraqi army begins fresh crackdown on Shia fighters - Jun 19, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,