Al-Jazeera exposed ‘Palestine Papers’ has made Israel-Palestine peace pact harder: USJanuary 25th, 2011 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.25 (ANI): The US State Department acknowledged Monday that the “Palestine Papers,” released by Al-Jazeera, has complicated American efforts to forge an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement.
But it said it wouldn’t slow the Obama administration’s work toward that goal.
“We don’t deny that this release will, at least for a time, make the situation more difficult than it already was,” the Jerusalem Post quoted US State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley, as saying about the 1,600 confidential documents Al- Jazeera said it had obtained.
The documents - which outline Palestinian willingness to make concessions on Jerusalem and other final status issues - are said to be from the period of negotiations between Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
Abbas and other Palestinian officials have challenged the veracity of some of the documents.
Crowley noted that the documents weren’t American, and therefore, couldn’t be verified by the US.
However, he added that they would have an effect on the political challenges of resolving the conflict “regardless of whether one document is accurate, and one is not.”
“None of this changes our understanding of what is at stake, or what needs to be done. We continue to believe a framework agreement is both possible and necessary. We continue to work with and engage the parties,” Crowley said.
US officials have spoken extensively to Palestinian and Israeli officials in the past day, according to Crowley, who said their conversations dealt largely with preparing to move forward with next week’s Quartet meeting.
He said the recent document leak was only one further sign of the obstacles that lay ahead. (ANI)
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Palestinian negotiators had secretly agreed partial Israel annexation - Jan 24, 2011
- Israel calls for elections to replace Palestinian leader - Aug 23, 2012
- Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud charge - Jul 10, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Israel to reject preconditions for resuming direct peace talks - Aug 16, 2010
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- Hillary Clinton praises Al-Jazeera as "real news" - Apr 18, 2011
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, american efforts, authority president mahmoud abbas, confidential documents, ehud olmert, former prime minister, israel palestine peace, jerusalem post, mahmoud abbas, palestine papers, palestinian authority president mahmoud abbas, palestinian officials, palestinian peace, peace agreement, peace pact, political challenges, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud olmert, state department spokesman, us state department