Air New Zealand to allow mobile use on new A320February 7th, 2011 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 7 (ANI): Air New Zealand has said that the passengers on the black Airbus A320 will soon be able to use their mobile phones.
This privilege, however, will come at a price.
The black-liveried Airbus A320 aircraft commences its first commercial flights today.
It will be fitted with new in-flight mobile technology, which, within the next month, will enable the safe use of phones to make and receive phone calls, text messages and emails, during the cruise stage of flights, reports news.com.au.
The system - only to be made available on the domestic A320 aircraft - has been designed in such a way that passengers’ mobile phone signals are routed through an aircraft cell site.
The airline has reported stricken a deal with Vodafone New Zealand and OnAir, for this service.
Inflight roaming costs will apply; 80 cents per outbound text, $2.66 per minute to make a call, $1.52 per minute to receive a call and $15.21 per megabyte of data.
The rates can vary, depending on your mobile provider.
The move has Civil Aviation Authority approval. (ANI)
- Singapore Airlines to offer phone calls, text messages and Wi-Fi Internet on long-haul flights - Oct 05, 2010
- Aircraft bomb find 'could mean the end of in-flight Wi-Fi' - Nov 03, 2010
- Texting, browsing may soon be permitted on New Zealand flights - May 28, 2010
- Faulty alarm causes GoAir flight to make emergency landing - Jun 06, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- In Qatar, get your flight boarding pass on phone - Nov 30, 2011
- Coach rams into Go Air plane at Mumbai airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Air India to operate 106 domestic flights daily (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Jet Airways to evacuate Indians from Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Pratt and Whitney engines to power new IndiGo aircraft - Mar 31, 2011
- GoAir orders 72 aircraft from Airbus - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: air new zealand, airbus a320 aircraft, airline, civil aviation authority, commercial flights, cruise stage, megabyte, melbourne, mobile phone, mobile phones, mobile provider, mobile technology, news com au, onair, phone calls, phone signals, privilege, text messages, vodafone