Air India to suspend lone Himachal Pradesh flight from SaturdayNovember 20th, 2008 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 20 (IANS) State-owned carrier Air India will suspend its operations in Himachal Pradesh from Saturday, officials said here Thursday. The decision is likely to hit the tourism industry of the state.According to officials, Air India authorities have decided to suspend the lone flight between Delhi and Kullu from Nov 22. The flight operates twice a week.
The flight was launched March 19 this year when the new terminal building was inaugurated at Bhuntar near Kullu by Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel.
“It’s strange, given that at the time of launching the flight (Delhi-Kullu-Delhi), Patel assured the state government Air India would increase flights to seven days a week,” president of the Travel Agents Association of Kullu Subhash Sharma told IANS.
He said the suspension of the lone flight will affect the tourism industry.
Manali-based hotelier Tek Ram Thakur said: “The suspension of the Air India flights would mean monopoly business for private carriers. The state government should take up the issue with the central government.”
Pradeep Oberio, chief marketing manager of Alliance Air, a subsidiary of Air India, however, said the operation of flights in Himachal Pradesh have only been suspended for the time being.
“The flights would be resumed when there is a rush of tourists,” he added.
- Alliance Air to operate flights between Delhi, Himachal - Mar 28, 2010
- Snowfall in Manali, hopes up for white V-Day - Feb 13, 2011
- Himachal profits from Kashmir tourist overflow - May 28, 2012
- Air India to restart lone Himachal Pradesh flight from Dec 3 - Dec 01, 2008
- Head to Manali for a white V-Day (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal wants decision to suspend flights reviewed - Nov 21, 2008
- Sunny day in Himachal, flights resume - Dec 27, 2010
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Kingfisher grounds only flight to Shimla - Oct 18, 2011
- Tourism: Kashmir's loss is Himachal's gain - Aug 05, 2010
- Jagson Airlines to operate daily flights to Himachal - Jan 18, 2011
- Himachal seizes two properties 'owned' by Chautalas - Dec 17, 2011
- $95 mn ADB loan for Himachal tourism infrastructure - Jul 21, 2011
- More snowfall, rain in Himachal - Feb 16, 2011