Air India to join Star AllianceDecember 13th, 2007 - 8:37 pm ICT by admin
By Sanjay Kumar
New Delhi/Beijing, Dec 13 (ANI): Air India, the countrys biggest overseas carrier, is all set to join the Star Alliance, one of the three global airline groupings.
At their annual Board Meeting, the Chief Executive Officers (CEO) of the Star Alliance member airlines today voted to accept the application of Air India to become a future member of the alliance.
India has long been on the radar of Star Alliance; after all it is one of the worlds fastest growing economies and aviation markets. Having now come to an agreement with Air India makes us the first airline alliance to secure a member in India, which will enable our customers to receive more benefits when travelling to, from and within India in the future, said Glenn Tilton, Chairman and CEO of United Airlines.
Expressing his happiness over the development, Air India Chairman and Managing Director Vasudevan Thulasidas said: Air India is delighted in being invited to join Star Alliance. This invitation comes in the wake of Air Indias merger with Indias leading domestic carrier Indian Airlines, thus making Air India the prime player in the Indian subcontinent.
In addition, the recently announced fleet expansion of over 100 aircraft will help Air India serve the travelling public better in terms of global reach and services. In being selected as a future Star Alliance member, Air India will add value to passengers patronising member airlines of the alliance, he added.
The specialised teams at Air India, Star Alliance and its member carriers will now be working on the integration process. After completion of this process Air India will become a part of the Star Alliance network.
The carrier will gain access to the over 16,000 daily flights operated by Deutsche Lufthansa AG, UAL Corp.’s United Airlines and the other 17 Star members. (ANI)
Writer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- New conditions by Star Alliance unacceptable: Ravi - Aug 10, 2011
- Star Alliance defers Air India's membership - Aug 01, 2011
- Star Alliance to decide Air India's induction date Sunday (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Government officials, Star Alliance to talk next week - Jul 14, 2011
- Air India set to join Star Alliance by July 31 - Jun 06, 2011
- Kingfisher to join oneworld airline alliance from February - Dec 19, 2011
- Air India to join Star Alliance by March 2011 - May 15, 2010
- 'Talks progressing Air India's induction into Star Alliance' - Jul 18, 2011
- Continental joins Star Alliance, but Air India waits on tarmac - Oct 28, 2009
- Star Alliance to decide on Air India's induction date - Jul 30, 2011
- 'Air India may have to wait longer to join Star Alliance' - Jan 23, 2010
- Lufthansa names Christoph Franz as new CEO - Sep 23, 2010
- Air India to join Star Alliance by July - May 20, 2011
- Star Alliance 'moves under one roof' at Delhi's Terminal 3 - Jul 28, 2010
- Oberoi, Lufthansa forge long-term strategic partnership - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: air india, airline alliance, aviation markets, ceo of united airlines, chief executive officers, deutsche lufthansa ag, domestic carrier, fleet expansion, glenn tilton, global airline, indian airlines, indian subcontinent, member carriers, sanjay kumar, specialised teams, star alliance member, star alliance member airlines, star members, ual corp, united airlines