Air Force Official Gets 20 Months Military Prison Term, Dishonorable Discharge Over Sexual MisconductJanuary 29th, 2011 - 8:57 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Chicago, Jan 29, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Ohio-based Air Force official who sent lewd text messages and pictures to few lower-ranking officials, was found guilty of a number of sex-related charges owing to which he was given a prison sentence of 20 months in a hearing that took place on Friday. Apart from the sentence that he would have to serve at a military prison, the top Air Force officials was also given a dishonorable discharge culminating into his demotion to the lowest possible rank following his conduct on the base where he was posted since 2008.
Earlier this week, Chief Master Sgt. William Gurney had pleaded guilty to 13 counts of sexual-misconduct related charges as well as adultery during his posting at the Illinois based Scott Air Force Base. On Thursday, a military jury had found the 27-year-old officer guilty of two counts of misbehaving with two female colleagues by making sexual advances towards them. During the court martial proceedings on Friday, Sgt. William Gurney broke down into tears and said that his misconduct had subjected his family to ridicule while adding that he had also failed the military. At the same time, the veteran Air Force officer also expressed his apology to the female colleagues for mistreating them.
In the hearing that was held on Monday, Sgt. William Gurney described the extra-marital affairs that he had and the exchange of lewd text messages with lower-ranking female officers as getting ‘caught up in a cycle of sin’. The 27-year-old top Air Force official was positioned at Ohio’s Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in 2009 where the allegations against his sexual misconduct first came to light.
- US military instructor jailed for rape - Jul 22, 2012
- Court martial begins in US military base sex scandal - Jul 17, 2012
- US air force commander removed amid widening sex scandal - Aug 11, 2012
- Former Department of Homeland Security agent pleads guilty in "sex for green card" scam - Apr 16, 2010
- $16 million cable bill shocks Ohio man - Apr 05, 2011
- Sexual assault an unseen foe for US troops - May 01, 2011
- Probe launched against HIV-infected US sergeant - Aug 28, 2010
- 'Sex killer' Russell Williams officially stripped of Canadian military rank - Dec 11, 2010
- Sex-tainted top Canadian commander quits - Nov 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka military court finds former Army chief guilty - Aug 13, 2010
- US loses three space pioneers in five weeks - Sep 03, 2012
- Canada demotes, fines general for sleeping with subordinate - Jul 22, 2011
- Lingerie-obsessed Canadian commander exposed as serial killer - Oct 19, 2010
- Male docs 4 times likelier than female counterparts to misbehave - May 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka ex-army chief convicted by military court (Lead) - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: adultery, air force officials, demotion, dishonorable discharge, extra marital affairs, female colleagues, gina gomez, gurney, martial proceedings, master sgt, military jury, military prison, misbehaving, prison sentence, scott air force base, sexual advances, sexual misconduct, wright patterson air, wright patterson air force, wright patterson air force base