Air Force airdrops relief material in flood-affected MidnaporeJune 22nd, 2008 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Midnapore (West Bengal), June 22 (ANI): Air Force officials today airdropped relief material in flood-affected Midnapore today.
West Bengal authorities had asked for the Armys assistance in the relief operations.
Though the floodwaters have started receding in east and west Midnapore Districts of West Bengal, thousands of people are marooned on rooftops and trees, waiting for relief to arrive.
Although, the air force dropped food and relief supplies across 31 blocks in two districts, many villagers were visibly angry at delays.
About 2 million people were affected by the floods caused by heavy rainfall over the past three-four days.
The state government on June 20 had announced a relief package for the victims as the death toll in the district rose to 25.
Meanwhile in Nalanda district of eastern Bihar villagers are stranded with rivers breaching the embankments and water flowing into their houses.
The villagers complain that the monsoon has just started and they are in helpless situation.
“Look at all this, the area is submerged, and this is just the beginning. I don’t know what will happen if it rains more,” said Dinesh Mahto, a villager.
The villagers further added that they are yet to receive food and medicines.
Swelling rivers have continued to break through mud embankments in the country’s east and northeast since Friday. It has killed at least 50 people in ten days and affected more than three million people.
Prices of essential commodities have also shot up across the eastern states as flooding blocked many highways. (ANI)
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Bengal floods leave 15 dead, 1.9 million affected - Aug 14, 2011
- One killed, thousands of houses washed away in Bengal rains - Jun 21, 2011
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Floods in eastern India kill at least 59, millions affected - Sep 27, 2011
- IAF airdrops food to marooned in Arunachal - Aug 12, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Flood situation grim but slowly improving in West Bengal - Sep 11, 2009
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: air force officials, bihar, commodities, death toll, eastern states, embankments, flood, floods, floodwaters, helpless situation, highways, medicines, monsoon, rainfall, relief material, relief operations, rooftops, state government, villager, west bengal