Aid agencies suspend Congo operations following attacksApril 11th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by admin
Geneva, April 11 (DPA) UN humanitarian agencies said they had temporarily suspended operations in Congo after four attacks in three weeks targeting international organizations. Equipment and goods destined for relief operations had been stolen and personnel attacked in South Kivu province.
In mid-March, money and equipment had been stolen in an armed hold-up of vehicles in Kashatu.
Later that month, at Minova, members of the international non-governmental organization (NGO) Doctors without Borders had been injured when their base was attacked and cash and communication equipment stolen.
Another two raids were carried out in April on roads near Katobo and Kakamba.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) appealed to the authorities to provide the security the agencies and NGOs needed to resume their work and urged them to track down those responsible.
- UN calls for assistance to Ethiopia's two million drought victims - Apr 29, 2011
- UN agency seeks $32 mn for Myanmar - Aug 10, 2012
- More 30 die when UN plane crashes in DR Congo - Apr 05, 2011
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- UN estimates another $840 mn needed for Pakistan - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 30 women beaten, raped in Congo on New Year's Day - Jan 07, 2011
- Three Indian U.N. peacekeepers killed in D.R. Congo attack - Aug 19, 2010
- More than 150 women raped in Congolese village, says UN - Aug 24, 2010
- UN aid for Pak flood victims to focus on survival needs of six million people - Aug 11, 2010
- UN urges Syria to stop violent crackdowns against protesters - Jun 09, 2011
- Afghanistan, UN appeal for $437 mn in aid - Jan 28, 2012
- International community expresses alarm after raids on NGOs in Egypt - Jan 01, 2012
- Pakistan humanitarian work in 'jeopardy': UN - Apr 13, 2010
- UAE, UN aid agency explore cooperation - Aug 10, 2012
- Pakistan needs $840 mn for rehabilitation: UN - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: authorities, communication equipment, congo, coordination, doctors without borders, dpa, geneva, humanitarian affairs, humanitarian agencies, international non governmental organization, international organizations, mid march, money, ngo, ngos, non governmental organization, relief operations, south kivu province