Ahmedabad toll rises to 51July 30th, 2008 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, July 30 (IANS) The toll in Saturday’s serial bombings in Ahmedabad has reached 51, a senior Gujarat minister said here Wednesday. While the toll touched 51, the blasts injured 212 people, Health Minister and government spokesperson Jaynarayan Vyas told the media after a cabinet meeting.
As many as 76 of the injured had been admitted to the Civil Hospital, 55 in the Vadilal Sarabhai Hospital, 13 in the Rajasthan Hospital; 45 in the L.G. Hospital, four in the Apollo hospital, three in the Siddhivinayak hospital, one in the Civil Hospital at Sola and 15 in the Shardaben Hospital, he said.
Out of the 42 deaths reported from the Civil Hospital, 34 were males, five females, two boys and a girl. Four deaths each were reported from the V.S. Hospital and the L.G. Hospital while one injured died in the Rajasthan Hospital.
The state has so far disbursed a total of Rs.8.45 million to the kin of those who died and to the injured. It had given Rs.30 million to the Ahmedabad collector for immediate expenses, Vyas said.
Responding to the opposition Congress’ demand for convening the assembly to discuss the serial blasts and the law and order situation, the minister said: “The Gujarat government’s top priority for the moment is to help the victims. I request the Congress to cooperate with the government in this hour of need.”