Ahmadinejad warns US, Israel of ‘crushing response’August 16th, 2011 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Monday warned the US and Israel against even contemplating a strike against his nation.
“They want to do it, but they know our power. They know that we would give them a very decisive response,” he said in an exclusive interview with the Russia Today news channel.
“We would give them a crushing response,” he continued. “We will defend ourselves with our full capability. But I hope that will never come. There is no reason for war, why should they attack us?”
On the issue of nuclear weapons Ahmadinejad said Iran would never seek to acquire a nuclear deterrent.
“We do not want nuclear weapons. We do not seek nuclear weapons. This is an inhuman weapon,” he said, adding that “nuclear weapons are the weapons of the previous century.”
“International equations are not determined by nuclear arsenals today. It’s about the life of human beings. The Americans have nuclear bombs and nuclear weapons and could they win in Iraq and Afghanistan? Could the nuclear weapons help the Israelis gain victory in Lebanon and Gaza?”
About the Bushehr nuclear plant that Russia is building in Iran, Ahmadinejad said he had spoken with President Dmitry Medvedev about it and that everything was on schedule.
Asked about his plans for after 2013, when his second and final presidential term comes to an end, Ahmadinejad said that “the future is very bright.”
“We have free elections in our country, whoever is elected by the people will be the right one and this is the right of our nation.”
As for his own future, he said he was a university professor “and I have preserved this job and profession and I will continue to serve the nation.”
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Iran claims being hit by second cyber attack - Apr 26, 2011
- West seeks Iran regime change: Putin - Feb 25, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- Putin not interested to solve Russian problems: Gorbachev - Aug 16, 2011
- Iran to get full control of Bushehr in December - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran n-plant to start operation by year-end - Aug 14, 2011
- Iran's Bushehr n-plant almost ready: Russia - Jun 19, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- Iran to install fuel rods in n-reactor Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iranian first n-plant running at 'full capacity' - Sep 01, 2012
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
Tags: dmitry medvedev, free elections, gain victory, gaza, human beings, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, israelis, mahmoud ahmadinejad, nuclear arsenals, nuclear bombs, nuclear deterrent, nuclear plant, nuclear weapons, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, ria novosti, rn, russia today, tehran, university professor