Ahmadinejad slams Argentina for giving in to ‘Zionists’September 26th, 2009 - 4:15 am ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 26 (DPA) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad blasted Argentina Friday for seeking the extradition of Iranian Defence Minister General Ahmad Vahidi.
“We want to advise the Argentine government, instead of meeting the interest of a minority of Zionists in Argentina, to seek the interest and benefit for everyone,” Ahmadinejad told a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.
Earlier this week at the UN General Assembly, Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner again demanded the extradition of Vahidi and other Iranian officials accused of involvement in the 1994 Buenos Aires bombing of a Jewish community centre, which killed 85 people. She further complained that one of the suspects had been appointed to a minister post.
Iran has insisted that accusations against Vahidi and other Iranian officials had not been proven by the Argentine judiciary in the last 15 years.
When Vahidi was first named defence minister, Argentine public prosecutor Alberto Nisman described him as “extremely compromised” due to the 1994 bombing.
Argentine justice officials have asked Interpol to arrest Vahidi, arguing that he was one of five high Iranian officials who took part in a meeting where the bombing was decided.
Argentina is home to the largest Jewish community in Latin America.
Hundreds of people were wounded in the July 18, 1994, community centre bombing in the central Buenos Aires neighbourhood of Once. Two years earlier, a bombing against the Israeli embassy in central Buenos Aires left 29 people dead.
- Iranian minister nomination spurs protests in Argentina - Aug 22, 2009
- UAE foreign minister visits Argentina - Mar 16, 2012
- Suspected mastermind of Buenos Aires bombing set to become Iran's Defence Minister - Sep 02, 2009
- Former Argentine President Kirchner dies of heart attack - Oct 27, 2010
- Iran's 'wanted' defence minister warns Israel not to attack its N-facilities - Sep 04, 2009
- Former president Kirchner's death stuns Argentina - Oct 28, 2010
- UN chief's plane diverted due to volcanic ashes - Jun 14, 2011
- Interpol denies issuing international arrest warrant against Vahidi - Sep 08, 2009
- Ahmadinejad's ministerial nominee was an Interpol target in 1994 - Aug 22, 2009
- Cristina Fernandez re-elected president of Argentina - Oct 24, 2011
- Iranian parliament rejects two female ministers - Sep 03, 2009
- Hillary Clinton Endorses The Argentinean Bid To Put On Trial Alleged Iranian Bigots - Aug 12, 2010
- Argentine president recovering after cancer surgery - Jan 06, 2012
- Argentine president inherits $6.8 mn - Aug 08, 2012
- Argentina protests British war games in Falkland Islands (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: alberto nisman, argentine government, argentine president, extradition, fernandez de kirchner, iranian defence minister, iranian officials, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, israeli embassy, jewish community centre, justice officials, latin america, mahmoud ahmadinejad, minister general, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, public prosecutor, un general assembly, york sep, zionists