Ahmadinejad pledges to prove US plot to kill himJune 26th, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 25 (RIA Novosti) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Wednesday promised to provide proof that the US was behind an attempt on his life planned during his visit to Iraq in March. “During the visit of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki (to Iran in June), I told him about an assassination attempt (in March) and reiterated that I would make public all the details if the Americans denied their involvement,” Ahmadinejad told a news conference in Tehran.
He mentioned the assassination attempt for the first time last week and said only changes to his schedule had foiled the plot. However, the West and even some inner Iranian circles dismissed his allegations.
“I raised the assassination issue, and the main culprit, which is the US government, could not disprove my words… we all know why,” he said.
Ahmadinejad, 51, who became president in 2005, is a strong critic of the West and has also called for Israel “to be wiped off the map”.
Western nations have accused Iran of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme, an allegation Iran has been denying. It insists that its nuclear programme was of peaceful purpose.
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran to install fuel rods in n-reactor Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Iran claims being hit by second cyber attack - Apr 26, 2011
- Iranian parliament summons Ahmadinejad - Feb 08, 2012
- Iran accuses US of pressuring IAEA - Nov 06, 2011
- A tough balancing act awaits Manmohan Singh in Tehran - Jul 31, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: allegation, allegations, assassination attempt, circles, culprit, iran, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, israel, mahmoud ahmadinejad, news conference, nouri al maliki, nuclear weapons, peaceful purpose, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, prime minister nouri al maliki, proof, ria novosti, tehran, us government