Ahmadinejad calls for stronger alliance with SyriaMarch 1st, 2009 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 1 (DPA) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Sunday called for a stronger alliance with Syria in a bid to resist Israel and its allies over the Palestinian crisis.
In a meeting with visiting Syrian Prime Minister Mahmoud Naji Otri, Ahmadinejad praised the two countries’ position on the international and regional issues, particularly the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
“Recent developments in the world proved that Iran and Syria were moving on the right track insisting on the need of resistance against enemies,” the Iranian leader said.
Tehran does not recognise Israel and is the main supporter of the Islamist Hamas movement which controls Gaza.
Israel and the US have accused Iran of training Hamas militants in Gaza as well funding them and providing them weapons. Tehran however insists it only gives spiritual and political support to anti-Israel militia groups both in the Palestinian territories and Lebanon.
“If Iran and Syria have an eminent position in the region, it is because of their resistance based on their correct decisions,” Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying by the website of state television IRIB.
Iranian Vice President Parviz Davoudi, in a separate meeting with Otri, urged Damascus to be more on alert about their political enemies’ tricks, saying: “Both countries (Iran and Syria) should be active in supporting unity among all Palestinian groups and the reconstruction of Gaza.”
Iran was on the side of Hamas in its conflict with Israel last month and harshly criticised the UN and some Arab states for not reacting firmly against Israeli attacks. Angered Arab states in response warned Tehran to stay out of internal Arab affairs.
- Palestinians chastise Ahmadinejad over Mideast talks remarks - Sep 05, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Ahmadinejad predicts failure of Mideast talks - Sep 03, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Continue resistance against Israel, Iran's leader tells Hamas - Dec 16, 2009
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Iran declines reports of arms supplies to Syria - Feb 26, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Ahmadinejad threatens to send US to the 'morgue' - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: arab affairs, arab states, correct decisions, hamas, hamas movement, iranian leader, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, israeli attacks, israeli palestinian conflict, mahmoud ahmadinejad, militia groups, naji otri, palestinian groups, palestinian territories, political enemies, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, prime minister mahmoud, regional issues, state television