Ahead of Obama meeting, PM says n-liability rules soonNovember 13th, 2011 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
On Board Air India One, Nov 12 (IANS) Ahead of his meeting with US President Barack Obama in Bali next week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday said the government will place before parliament rules and procedures relating to the civil nuclear liability regime in the winter session of parliament starting later this month.
“We will place before parliament rules and procedures relating to the civil nuclear liability law in the next session of parliament,” he told reporters on board his special aircraft while returning from the SAARC summit in the Maldives.
“It’s only after that will we know the American position,” Manmohan Singh replied when asked whether the US was satisfied with India’s civil nuclear liability regime.
The US has made it clear that India’s civil nuclear liability law will have to be brought in conformity with international conventions and the current regime imposed a heavy burden on the operators of nuclear plants in India.
Manmohan Singh and Obama will meet in Bali Nov 18 on the sidelines of the 18-nation East Asia summit and will discuss an entire gamut of issues, including ways to fast-track their landmark nuclear deal and issues relating to nuclear liability. They will also discuss issues relating to the evolving East Asia architecture and security of the Indian Ocean, a strategic resource-rich region where China is making rapid inroads.
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- Mannmohan, Obama to meet in Bali Friday, n-deal on agenda - Nov 16, 2011
- Ahead of Obama meeting, India notifies N-liability rules - Nov 17, 2011
- N-liability: India will work within its own laws - Nov 17, 2011
- Manmohan to meet Obama amid N-liability row (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2011
- India, US iron out n-liability issue, discuss Af-Pak - Dec 13, 2011
- India, US to iron out n-liability irritants - Dec 10, 2011
- N-deal: India to provide US firms level playing field - Feb 07, 2012
- US presses India for nuclear level playing field - Dec 13, 2011
- PM meets Obama, says N-liability within framework of law - Nov 18, 2011
- US seeks level playing field for its nuclear firms - Nov 22, 2011
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Indian PM reaches Singapore (Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Manmohan, Chinese PM to meet in Bali; insurgent issue on agenda - Nov 16, 2011
- PM returns home from Bali and Singapore - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: air india, american position, asia architecture, barack obama, east asia summit, heavy burden, international conventions, liability law, liability regime, liability rules, manmohan, manmohan singh, nuclear deal, nuclear liability, nuclear plants, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rapid inroads, saarc summit, winter session