Ageing Jayasuriya among Sri Lanka’s probables for T20 World CupApril 4th, 2009 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, April 4 (IANS) An ageing Sanath Jayasuriya is among the 30 probables in the Sri Lankan squad for the Twenty20 World Cup in June in England.
Jayasuriya, who will be touching 40 by the time the tournament ends, was the eldest member in the Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa in 2007 and this time around, he is likely to retain the tag of becoming the ‘Grandfather’ of Twenty20 cricket.
At the age of 38 in the 2007 World Cup, Jayasuriya scored 467 runs. He retired from the longer version of the game during the first Test against England in Kandy in 2007-08. In January 2009, during the first ODI against India, he became the second player to cross 13,000 ODI runs, and at 39 years and 212 days, became the oldest man to score an ODI century.
Kumar Sangakkara will lead the side while Muttiah Muralitharan will be his deputy. The list will be pruned to 15.
The 35-year-old Chaminda Vaas is also among the probables and is likely to spearhead the bowling attack.
Probables: Kumar Sangakkara (captain), Muttiah Muralitharan (vice captain), Sanath Jayasuriya, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Mahela Jayawardene, Chamara Kapugedera, Jehan Mubarak, Chamara Silva, Angelo Mathews, Farveez Maharoof, Nuwan Kulasekara, Thilan Thushara, Lasith Malinga, Chaminda Vaas, Ajantha Mendis, Kaushal Weeraratne, Upul Tharanga, Isuru Udana, Dilhara Lokuhettige, Chintaka Jayasinghe, Nuwan Zoysa, Gihan Rupasinghe, Thilina Kandamby, Malinga Bandara, Dilhara Fernando, Indika de Saram, Thisara Perera, Gayan Wijekoon, Milinda Siriwardene, Lahiru Thirimanne.
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka have a side to win the World Cup (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 06, 2011
- Jayasuriya dropped from Sri Lankan squad - Dec 30, 2009
- Sreesanth doubtful for Twenty20 against Sri Lanka - Dec 08, 2009
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against India in Twenty20 - Dec 12, 2009
- Sri Lanka elect to bat against New Zealand - Mar 18, 2011
- India opt to field against Sri Lanka - Dec 09, 2009
- Sri Lanka squad for Australia ODIs, Twenty20 announced - Jul 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka win toss, to bat against India - Apr 02, 2011
- Zimbabwe opt to bowl against Sri Lanka - Mar 10, 2011
- IPL-4: Little-known Christian top buy; veteran Jayasuriya unsold (List of players auctioned) - Jan 09, 2011
- Haddin recalled to Australia side - Oct 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against Canada - Feb 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka opt to bat against India in Twenty20 - Feb 10, 2009
Tags: ajantha, bandara, chaminda vaas, dilhara fernando, eldest member, gayan, gihan, indika, jayasuriya, jayawardene, kaushal, lasith malinga, mendis, milinda, nuwan zoysa, oldest man, sanath jayasuriya, saram, t20 world cup, twenty20 world cup