After Eight Years Elizabeth Smart’s Kidnapping Trial Begins Today

November 1st, 2010 - 6:59 pm ICT by GD  

By Gina Gomez
smaNov 1, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After eight years Elizabeth Smart, the political activist who suffered nine months kidnapping at the age of 14 will finally face the man accused of subjecting her to abduction today. Brian David Mitchell is accused of entering through the window screen and abducting 14 year old Elizabeth Smart in 2002 in the middle of the night. The abducted girl was rescued on March 12, 2003, in Sandy, Utah, about 18 miles from her home in the company of Brian David Mitchell and Wanda Ileen Barzee.

Brian David Mitchell was indicted in March 2008 on federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation across the state lines. The law enforcement officials say that if he is convicted, then he would face lifetime in prison. The trial will take place in Salt Lake City’s U.S. District Court. Elizabeth Smart’s father, Ed Smart told a reputed media source that the family has been waiting for the trial for a long time. However, he also added that the whole family is very confident about the prosecution. He also added that his daughter is happy that the case is at last coming to an end as the whole thing has been dragged on ridiculously long.

In 2003 state case Brian David Michell was diagnosed with delusional disorder and deemed incompetence to stand on the court for trial. However, he was judged competent to stand on the trial when an expert Government witness said that the man was faking his mental weakness to avoid his trial. A reputed media source reported that the prosecutors are expected to call 22 witnesses and the trial can take at-least six weeks. Elizabeth Smart previously said that Brian David Mitchell told her that he was a “prophet” and voice of God and Earth.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe