After 37 years, police nab Los Angeles serial killerMay 1st, 2009 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, May 1 (DPA) Police in Los Angeles identified a 72-year-old man as the city’s worst serial killer, charging him with two murders in 1972 and 1976 and linking him with 25 others.
Police Thursday said that DNA matching John Floyd Thomas Jr, an insurance adjuster, was found at three other murder scenes from the 1970s and 1980s and that detectives were examining his connection to other cases linked to the notorious Westside Rapist.
The killings and rapes took place in west Los Angeles in two waves, between 1972-78 and 1983-89. During the five-year gap, Thomas was serving a prison sentence after being convicted of rape. In 1989, Thomas took a job with a state insurance agency.
Most of the victims were elderly white women, many in their 70s and 80s, who were raped and strangled.
“When all is said and done, Thomas stands to be Los Angeles’ most prolific serial killer,” Richard Bengston of the Los Angeles Police Department told the Los Angeles Times.
Thomas was arrested April 2 at his Los Angeles home. Twice previously convicted of sexual assault, he was linked to the long-cold cases when his DNA was taken as part of an ongoing process to take swab samples from registered sex offenders.
- Lonnie David Franklin Jr. Arrested On Suspicion Of Being "Grim Sleeper" - Jul 08, 2010
- Grim Sleeper serial killer arrested in Los Angeles - Jul 08, 2010
- Joseph Hyungmin Son convicted - Aug 30, 2011
- 'Dating Game Killer' Rodney Alcala Charged With New Murder Cases - Jan 28, 2011
- 400 offenders in Britain raped again after release - Jul 16, 2012
- Grim Sleeper Suspect Arrested And Suspected Of More Murders - Jul 10, 2010
- Los Angeles serial killer 'Grim Sleeper' arrested - Jul 08, 2010
- Man wanted for eight murders escapes - Mar 01, 2012
- Goan serial killer's day out - Oct 03, 2010
- Police Finally Arrest The 'Grim Sleeper' - Jul 10, 2010
- Grim Sleeper Serial Killer Arrested On Wednesday In Los Angeles - Jul 08, 2010
- Goa serial killer acquitted in fifth murder case - Nov 13, 2010
- New Composites of The Grim Sleeper: Police Hunt For LA Serial Killer - May 06, 2010
- Nicolas Cage to star in 'Frozen Ground' - Jul 30, 2011
- Serial Killer On Prowl In Houston? - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: 37 years, angeles police department, bengston, cold cases, insurance adjuster, insurance agency, killings, los angeles times, murder scenes, police nab, prison sentence, prolific serial killer, rapes, rapist, registered sex offenders, sexual assault, state insurance, thomas jr, white women, worst serial killer