African Union suspends Guinea’s membership after coupDecember 29th, 2008 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Addis Ababa, Dec 29 (Xinhua) The African Union (AU) said Monday that it has suspended Guinea’s membership after a coup in the west African nation.In a statement issued after the 165th meeting of the AU Peace and Security Council, the pan-African organisation said it decided “to suspend the participation of Guinea in the activities of the AU until the return to constitutional order in that country.”
The decision was made “in accordance with the relevant provisions of the AU Constitutive Act and the Lome Declaration of July 2000 on unconstitutional changes of government,” said the statement.
The military led by Moussa Camara launched a coup Tuesday, hours after the announcement of death of President Lansana Conte, who ruled Guinea for 24 years.
Camara, who declared himself the president of the country, vowed to tackle corruption and renegotiate mining contracts while addressing a public meeting Saturday.
“We have blocked the mining sector. There will be a renegotiation of contracts,” he said.
With an area of 245,857 square km and a population of 9.56 million, Guinea is known for its rich mineral deposits, especially bauxite which accounts for half of the world’s total reserves. The country, however, remains one of the poorest in the world.
- Guinea coup leaders postpone meeting with foreign envoys - Dec 28, 2008
- Guinea coup leader declares himself president - Dec 25, 2008
- PM lands in Addis Ababa - May 23, 2011
- Guinea coup leader invites foreign diplomats for talks - Dec 26, 2008
- Manmohan kicks off week of high-wire Africa diplomacy - May 22, 2011
- African Union summit concludes with package of agreements (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- 87 dead after bloodbath at Guinea opposition rally - Sep 29, 2009
- Midnight drama, deals in battle for AU's top job - Jul 16, 2012
- Ahead of summit, India backs Africa for UN seat - May 17, 2011
- African Union summit opens with focus on stability - Jan 30, 2011
- India begins second summit with Africa - May 24, 2011
- India pledges $5.7 billion, Africa backs India for UN seat (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- On Africa Day, India pledges $5.7 billion, gets UN seat support (Roundup) - May 25, 2011
- African Union suspends Mali from its membership - Mar 23, 2012
- African women set to drive continent's resurgence: AU official (Interview) - Jul 23, 2012