African armies move against Ugandan rebelsDecember 15th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Kampala (Uganda), Dec 15 (DPA) Uganda, Congo and South Sudan have attacked the base of Ugandan rebels holed up in the jungles of eastern Congo, military officials said Monday.Joseph Kony, leader of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), failed to turn up to sign a peace agreement Nov 29.
He has repeatedly stalled on signing a final agreement and it now appears that patience with him has run out.
A joint statement from the three armies said that Kony’s main camp in the Garamba region of Congo had been attacked over the weekend and burned down.
Peace negotiations began mid-2006 between the government and the LRA, but the rebels are hesitant to sign the final peace treaty.
They say that the International Criminal Court (ICC) should first withdraw arrest warrants it issued in 2005 for five rebel leaders, including Kony, for crimes against humanity.
The court in The Hague wants the guerrilla commanders to be tried for rape, murder, abductions, torture and conscription of children.
The rebels want Museveni to get the ICC to drop the warrants.
The rebellion has left thousands of civilians dead, mutilated and tens of thousands of children abducted by the LRA who forced them to fight and commit atrocities.
Nearly two million civilians have been displaced from their homes by the conflict.
- UN to meet with central African governments to fight Lord's Resistance Army - Mar 15, 2012
- Uganda begins withdrawing troops from Congo - Mar 15, 2009
- Ugandan rebels kill more than 40 Congolese civilians - Dec 27, 2008
- Ugandan rebels killed 321 in Congo massacre: Rights group - Mar 28, 2010
- Ugandan rebels massacre 45 Congolese civilians - Dec 29, 2008
- Ugandan rebels kill about 400 in Congo: Aid group - Dec 31, 2008
- Ugandan rebels set to sign peace treaty Nov 30 - Nov 18, 2008
- New conflict with Ugandan rebels looms on horizon - Jun 13, 2008
- 'Invisible children' 2012 campaign launched to bring Kony to justice - Mar 07, 2012
- Ugandan rebels delay peace deal signing to end 20-year war - Apr 01, 2008
- Uganda prepares to sign final agreement to end 20-year war - Mar 22, 2008
- Ugandan rebels attack villages, military base in Sudan - Sep 20, 2008
- Congo offensive sparks more killings, sexual violence: UN - Oct 16, 2009
- Briton faces death for killing 13 Africans - May 09, 2012
- Bomb blasts at World Cup viewing parties in Uganda kill 64, injure 71 - Jul 12, 2010