African-American girls addicted to marijuana have riskier sexAugust 6th, 2008 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 6 (IANS) African-American girls using marijuana are more likely to engage in risky sexual acts and contract sexually transmitted disease, according to a new study. Emory University researchers analysed marijuana use and self-reported sexual behaviour of 439 sexually active African-American females between the ages of 15 and 21.
They found that girls who took marijuana had significantly higher rates of STDs than non-marijuana users (32 percent compared to 23 percent).
Marijuana users also had more sex partners, riskier sex partners, including a partner just released from jail, and more recent episodes of engaging in vaginal sex.
“While adolescent African-American females remain a high-risk group for STDs, little research has examined their marijuana use, sexual behaviours and incidence of STD infection,” said study co-author Ralph DiClemente, professor of public health at Emory’s Rollins School of Public Health.
“Although no differences in condom use were identified between marijuana users and non-users, results suggest that marijuana users are engaging in sexual acts with riskier partners and under riskier circumstances, and had higher rates of STDs,” DiClemente said.
DiClemente and his team recommend STD and HIV intervention programmes designed for adolescent African-American females that promote condom use as well as emphasise the risks of drug use and STD and HIV infection.
These findings are being presented at the International AIDS Conference in Mexico City.
- Black girls using marijuana prone to riskier sex, higher STD rate - Aug 06, 2008
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Witness to violence makes women prone to risky sex: Study - May 11, 2012
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- Psychiatric disorders linked to risky sexual behaviour in adolescents - Sep 29, 2010
- Viagra users more likely to have STDs - Jul 06, 2010
- Sharing needles may play major role in transmission of syphilis - Apr 29, 2010
- Brazil to distribute 20 mn female condoms - Mar 21, 2012
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- US approves drug to prevent HIV infection - Jul 17, 2012
- 12yr-old school kids engaging in risky sexual activity - Apr 09, 2009
- 12-year-old schoolkids engaging in risky sex - Apr 09, 2009
- Washington to become first American city to distribute free female condoms - Mar 06, 2010
- Children of a lesser god... on Kolkata's streets - Dec 28, 2011
- Watching sexy movie scenes, kids turn promiscuous - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: african american girls, american females, co author, condom use, diclemente, emory university researchers, high risk group, hiv infection, hiv intervention, international aids conference, marijuana users, mexico city, rollins school of public health, school of public health, sex partners, sexual acts, sexual behaviour, sexual behaviours, stds, vaginal sex