AFI president and Congress leader Umrao Singh passes awayApril 12th, 2009 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 12 (IANS) Athletics Federation of India (AFI) president and veteran Congress leader Umrao Singh passed away in Jalandhar Sunday after a brief illness. He was 82 and is survived by his wife, a son and three daughters.
Umrao, a former Congress MP, was suffering from chest infection for the past few months. He was associated with the AFI for the past 50 years and also served as its president twice and was also a council member of the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF).
He was conferred with Padam Bhushan for his contribution towards successful conduct of the 1982 Asian Games in New Delhi. Umrao was also the founding president of Asian Athletics Association and senior member of Indian Olympic Association.
Prime minister Manmohan Singh condoled his death.
“Umrao Singh was a dear friend and a valued colleague. His passing away is a great personal loss for me. He will always be remembered for his fine human qualities and his commitment to the cause of uplift of the poor and the underprivileged,” said the prime minister in a condolence message to the late leader’s wife.
Remembering Umrao’s role, Manmohan Singh said: “He served both his party and his country with dedication and commitment. He distinguished himself as member of the legislative assembly of Punjab, minister in the Punjab government and as member of parliament.”
- Kalmadi eyes London trip during Olympics - Jul 12, 2012
- Kalmadi allowed to visit London for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Maken firm on aborting Kalmadi's London trip - Jul 15, 2012
- PM condoles demise of CPI's Chaturanan Mishra - Jul 04, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- National leaders condole Dara Singh's death (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- PM condoles Deshmukh's death, calls him trusted colleague (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Who is Lalit Bhanot? - Feb 23, 2011
- PM condoles death of 'valued' Congress colleague Karunakaran - Dec 24, 2010
- Vice President Ansari condoles Congress leader Arjun Singh's demise - Mar 05, 2011
- I Have every right to go to Olympics: Kalmadi - Jul 14, 2012
- Court notice to Kalmadi over London visit (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court allows Kalmadi's London visit (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Istanbul world indoor athletics meet to have largest participation - Mar 03, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: afi, asian athletics, asian games, bhushan, chest infection, condolence message, congress leader, council member, human qualities, indian olympic association, late leader, manmohan, manmohan singh, member of parliament, member of the legislative assembly, personal loss, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, punjab government, three daughters