Afghanistan disappointed with McChrystal’s dismissal, hopeful about PetraeusJune 24th, 2010 - 3:54 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, June 14 (ANI): Afghanistan is unhappy with the US’ decision of dismissing Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal as the top U.S. commander in the country.
Earlier, Afghan President Hamid Karzai had personally lobbied the US President Obama on Tuesday night to keep McChrystal, who was seen by Afghan leaders as a trustworthy general with a deep and nuance understanding of their country.
Much to his disappointment, his request went unheeded as the US dismissed McChrystal from his duty yesterday.
“General McChrystal has been a very important partner, we’re sad to see him go, but we respect this decision by the U.S. commander in chief.” The Washington Post quoted Waheed Omer, a spokesman for Karzai, as saying.
“He was very bright and smart and a very active person, he always called us, sat with us and listened to us. McChrystal’s departure a big loss,” The Washington Post quoted Khalid Pashtoon, the deputy chairman of the Internal Security Committee, as saying.
Afghanistan, however, has welcomed the decision and expressed hope that the replacement of McChrystal would be as efficient and understanding and as McChrystal was towards their country.
“The nomination of Gen. David H. Petraeus, shows the commitment of the United States to Afghanistan,” Omer added.
Petraeus is the former commander of U.S. forces in Iraq and head of the U.S. Central Command. (ANI)
- Afghan Govt. backs Obama's decision to appoint Petraeus as new NATO boss - Jun 24, 2010
- Afghans see change in US command as a threat to civilians - Jul 05, 2010
- Obama fires top Afghanistan commander McChrystal (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Petraeus being considered for CIA top job: Report - Apr 05, 2011
- U.S. Senate confirms Gen. Petraeus as new Afghan war commander - Jul 01, 2010
- Petraeus refuses to be bound by Obama's decision on US exit date from Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2010
- Obama Speaks: Gen Stanley McChrystal Resigns & Gen David Petraeus Steps In - Jun 24, 2010
- 'Angry' Obama recalls Afghan commander to Washington - Jun 23, 2010
- Top US commander in Afghanistan resigns (Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Gen. Petraeus Expresses Caution With Respect To The Proposal Of The American Military's Disengagement From Afghanistan From July 2011 - Aug 14, 2010
- Ex-NATO commander McChrystal cleared of wrongdoing in Rolling Stone piece - Apr 19, 2011
- US official feels substantial progress has been made in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2010
- Obama in dilemma over sacking McChrystal, Afghan war effort - Jun 23, 2010
- Afghan war is at a stalemate: General McChrystal - May 14, 2010
- Karzai visits wounded Afghan troops at Bagram airbase - May 08, 2010
Tags: central command, commander in chief, deputy chairman, disappointment, general mcchrystal, hamid karzai, hopeful, internal security, june 14, kabul, nomination, nuance, obama, petraeus, s central, security committee, spokesman, tuesday night, us decision, washington post