Afghan women condemn Karzai’s decision to sign law legalizing rapeMarch 31st, 2009 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Mar.31 (ANI): Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai has signed a law which “legalises” rape, women’s groups and the United Nations warn.
Critics claim that Karzai helped rush the bill through parliament in a bid to appease Islamic fundamentalists ahead of elections in August.
In a massive blow for women’s rights, the new Shia Family Law negates the need for sexual consent between married couples, tacitly approves child marriage and restricts a woman’s right to leave the home, according to UN papers seen by The Independent.
“It is one of the worst bills passed by the parliament this century,” fumed Shinkai Karokhail, a woman MP who campaigned against the legislation.
“It is totally against women’s rights. This law makes women more vulnerable,” she added.
The law regulates personal matters like marriage, divorce, inheritance and sexual relations among Afghanistan’s minority Shia community.
“It’s about votes. Karzai is in a hurry to appease the Shia because the elections are on the way,” Karokhail said.
The provisions are reminiscent of the hardline Taliban regime, which banned women from leaving their homes without a male relative.
But in a sign of Afghanistan’s faltering steps towards gender equality, politicians who opposed it have been threatened.
The bill lay dormant for more than a year, but in February it was rushed through parliament as President Karzai sought allies in a constitutional row over the upcoming election. (ANI)
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Marriage is only for a man and a woman: Julia Gillard - Mar 04, 2011
- Karzai's new 'rape law' allows a man to demand sex from wife every 4 days - Apr 03, 2009
- Afghanistan to review law that discriminates against women - Apr 04, 2009
- Karzai to review controversial new rape law - Apr 04, 2009
- Afghanistan revises marriage law, but women required to submit to intercourse - Jul 10, 2009
- Karzai agrees to review, change 'abhorrent' marital rape law - Apr 28, 2009
- Going slow on hurried divorce - May 02, 2012
- Afghan family law sparks angry demonstrations in Kabul - Apr 15, 2009
- Marriage registration to be made compulsory - Apr 12, 2012
- Apex court laments inaction against child marriages - Feb 08, 2011
- Protect your women, girls: EU tells Pakistan, Afghanistan - Dec 17, 2011
- Karzai thanks India for help in reconstruction - Oct 04, 2011
- Bill against sexual harassment at workplace introduced - Dec 07, 2010
- Replace rape with sexual assault, cabinet proposes - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: afghan women, afghanistan president hamid, child marriage, gender equality, hamid karzai, islamic fundamentalists, kabul, marriage divorce, married couples, massive blow, personal matters, president hamid karzai, president karzai, rape women, sexual consent, sexual relations, shia, taliban regime, upcoming election, woman mp