Afghan president’s half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead)July 12th, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 12 (IANS) Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s half-brother was Tuesday assassinated by a bodyguard at his home in Kandahar with the Taliban promptly claiming responsibility for it.
“My brother Ahmad Wali Karzai was killed today (Tuesday),” said the Afghan president.
“The Afghan people have suffered a lot. Every Afghan family has suffered. I hope one day these sufferings end,” CNN quoted Hamid Karzai as saying.
The Kandahar provincial council chief was shot dead at a gathering at his residence and the killing is expected to give a jolt to NATO’s effort.
Ahmad Wali Karzai, born in 1961, suffered bullet wounds to his head and chest, said Kandahar Hospital chief Mohammad Dawood Farhad.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack, reported Xinhua.
Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, who claims to speak for the Taliban, said one of Ahmad Wali Karzai’s bodyguards who worked for Taliban gunned down the president’s brother. The attacker was Ahmed Wali Karzai’s head of security Sardar Mohammed who was immediately killed.
Though the motive was not clear, the murder is bound to raise questions about the safety of the country’s top officials.
Security was further tightened in Kandahar following the shooting.
“Despite our worries about Ahmad Wali Karzai, he was someone the US could work with and he kept a lid on things in Kandahar,” a US official told BBC.
This was not the first time that an attempt was made on the life of Ahmad Wali Karzai.
In 2009, he survived a rocket and machine gun attack while travelling in a convoy towards Kabul.
Considered by many to be a warlord, Ahmad Wali Karzai had the staunch support of his elder brother Hamid Karzai.
The assassination took place amid US President Barack Obama’s announced plans to withdraw 10,000 American troops from Afghanistan this year.
The US soldiers will begin returning to US in line with the deadline set by Obama in December 2009, when he authorised a surge of 33,000 US troops to break the Taliban’s control in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
- Thousands attend funeral of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 13, 2011
- US condemns assassination of Afghan President's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- PM shocked at Ahmed Karzai's assassination - Jul 12, 2011
- Five killed in blast at Wali Karzai memorial service - Jul 14, 2011
- NATO forces kill Afghan president's cousin by mistake - Mar 10, 2011
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's aide shot dead in attack - Jul 18, 2011
- Karzai's assassin showed him a file and then shot him dead - Jul 13, 2011
- Karzai advisor, lawmaker shot dead in Kabul (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- Rabbani to brief India on Taliban reconciliation - Jul 13, 2011
- UK commander says Karzai's step-bro would rather watch Chelsea play - May 14, 2010
- Taliban says it's ready to face offensive as bombers attack base - Apr 28, 2010
- Over 30 killed in serial suicide attacks in Afghanistan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Obama meets Karzai - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, ahmad wali, ahmadi, barack obama, bullet wounds, claiming responsibility, cnn, council chief, dawood, elder brother, gun attack, half brother, hamid karzai, kandahar, president hamid karzai, provincial council, qari, sardar, xinhua