Afghan, NATO soldiers, 3 children killed in blastsApril 19th, 2010 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kandahar, April 19 (DPA) Three children were killed and four other people injured when a bomb hidden in a donkey-drawn cart exploded in southern Afghanistan Monday, officials said.
In a separate incident, one Afghan soldier and one NATO service member were killed in an explosion at a training camp in the capital Kabul. Several other soldiers were injured.
The donkey-drawn cart involved in the bombing in the southern province of Kandahar had been abandoned in front a tribal chief’s residence in the centre of Kandahar city Monday afternoon.
It was then remotely detonated, said Zalmai Ayoubi, spokesman for the provincial governor.
Haji Fazelluddin, the former governor of Spin Boldak district and an influential tribal elder allied with President Hamid Karzai, was not hurt in the attack.
But three of his nephews, aged 12 to 14, were killed, Ayoubi said, adding that two police officers guarding the residence and two civilian passers-by were injured.
No group immediately took responsibility for the bombing, which came four days after a suicide bomber killed three Afghans and wounded two dozen people - including foreign contractors - in the centre of Kandahar city.
Separately Monday, the Afghan defence ministry announced that one of its soldiers was killed and three others injured in an explosion at an army training camp in the eastern part of Kabul.
The blast occurred during a military training exercise involving heavy artillery, the statement said.
A spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) also said that a foreign soldier was killed and several others injured in the same blast. He did not disclose the nationalities of the victims.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, speaking by phone from an undisclosed location, claimed that one of their bombers, Abdul Qahar, a resident of the northern province of Kunduz, carried out the attack during the military training, killing 10 Afghan and NATO soldiers.
He said the bomber had enrolled as a new army recruit to carry out the attack inside the training base.
Afghan and ISAF officials said they were investigating the incident.
Soldiers from several NATO countries, mainly from the US, have been training Afghan army troops since 2002. NATO countries plan to train up to 300,000 Afghan police and army forces by the summer of 2011, in a bid to transfer the security responsibility of the country to the indigenous forces.
- Three Afghan kids killed in donkey-drawn cart bombing - Apr 27, 2010
- NATO forces kill four school students: Afghan officials - Apr 20, 2010
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Afghan soldier kills US serviceman - Apr 27, 2012
- 13 US soldiers die in Kabul bombing - Oct 29, 2011
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghan attacks - Jul 10, 2010
- Eight US soldiers among 25 killed in Afghanistan - Jul 14, 2010
- Taliban using kids as suicide bombers in Afghanistan - Jul 03, 2012
- Five NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2011
- Afghanistan to probe NATO airstrike on Pakistan - Nov 28, 2011
- 11 killed in NATO chopper crash in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2012
- Training halted for Afghan police recruits - Sep 02, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- NATO soldier, 35 insurgents killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: army training, capital kabul, defence ministry, haji, hamid karzai, heavy artillery, international security assistance, kandahar, military training, nato soldiers, nephews, northern province, president hamid karzai, provincial governor, service member, southern afghanistan, southern province, spin boldak, suicide bomber, undisclosed location