Afghan mass jail escape had ‘inside help’: MinisterApril 27th, 2011 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Apr 27 (ANI): Afghanistan’s Justice Minister has said the 488 inmates who escaped from Kandahar’s main prison through a tunnel, must have received inside help from prison guards or officials.
Habibullah Ghaleb told President Hamid Karzai that much of the blame for the Taliban-led breakout lay with local security forces and foreign troops.
“The mass escape of the prisoners from one tunnel indicates inside help and facilitation from the prison,” the BBC quoted Ghaleb, as saying.
Ghaleb said the house where the 360m-long tunnel began was searched 10 weeks ago but nothing was reported. Only 71 prisoners have been recaptured since a manhunt was launched.
Ghaleb also criticized Canadian and US troops who have been responsible for security improvements to the prison. He asked how they had failed to notice the tunnel was being dug underneath their feet.
“The house where the tunnel was found was searched by security forces two-and-a-half months ago. Earth or soil dug out of the tunnel must have been moved and should not have been missed,” he said.
In June 2008, the Taliban orchestrated the escape of prisoners at Sarposa, including hundreds of militants, in an attack that killed 15 guards. A suicide bomber was used to blast open the gates. (ANI)
- Kandahar jail governor arrested for mass escape - Apr 28, 2011
- 12 inmates escape as attackers bust Mexican prison - Jan 18, 2011
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- 50-year hunt continue for Alcatraz inmates - Jun 10, 2012
- 17 escape from prison in Mexican border city - May 26, 2011
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- 68 Al Qaeda men tunnel their way out of Yemen jail - Jun 22, 2011
- Poles outraged over demand for Nazi memorial at UK soldiers' gravesite - Apr 20, 2011
- Six killed in Iraq prison-break attempt - Aug 06, 2011
- Over 470 inmates escape from Afghanistan prison - Apr 25, 2011
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Yemen detains prison director over Al Qaeda escape - Jun 26, 2011
- Taliban helps 470 inmates to escape from Kandahar jail - Apr 25, 2011
- Chandigarh prison to plug tunnels of great escape - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: afghan, afghanistan, bbc, gates, hamid karzai, inmates, justice minister, kabul, kandahar, local security, manhunt, militants, president hamid karzai, prison guards, prisoners, security forces, security improvements, soil, suicide bomber, taliban