Afghan jailed for raping two women in AustraliaApril 14th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, April 14 (IANS) An Afghan asylum seeker in Australia, who said he did not understand the concept of consensual sex, has been jailed for nine years for brutally raping two women.
The 30-year-old Afghan, Esmatullah Sharifi, may be deported after being eligible for parole in 2019, The Australian daily reported.
He was sentenced for the rape of an 18-year-old woman to whom he offered a lift after they met outside a nightclub in 2008 in Melbourne.
Five days later, he abducted and raped another intoxicated woman, who later jumped out of his moving car to escape.
The Victorian county court judge said the rapes were “extremely violent”.
A psychological report submitted to the court described the Afghan as “inexperienced in forming relationships with women”.
It said Sharifi had an “unclear concept” of what constituted consent in sexual relations, but the judge said he could not accept it.
Sharifi suffered from post-traumatic stress after being persecuted by the Taliban. His father and uncle were murdered and he came to Australia via Pakistan in 2001, after receiving a temporary protection visa.
- Indian doc jailed for raping, taking photos of victim during sexual assault - Nov 17, 2010
- Oz man who raped a woman he met on dating site jailed for 3yrs - Jul 30, 2010
- Oz doctor jailed for raping exotic dancer after she refused him sex - Feb 24, 2011
- Indian-origin doctor jailed for rape in Australia - Nov 17, 2010
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Oz woman jailed in UAE after complaining about being drugged, raped - Mar 27, 2011
- Indian man jailed for raping woman to prevent her from ever marrying - Mar 08, 2011
- Assange to appear in court over extradition case - Jan 11, 2011
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian national pleads guilty to student's brutal rape in Melbourne - Aug 05, 2010
- Half of Brit men think sex with drunk women is not rape - Nov 17, 2010
- Oz chef jailed for groping employees at hotel - Jul 15, 2010
- Indian-origin male nurse jailed in Australia for sex with patient - Apr 08, 2010
- Indian-origin man jailed over sex with 14-year-old girl in Australia - Dec 17, 2010
- Assange guilty of only 'bad sexual etiquette': British MP - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: abducted, afghan, april 14, asylum seeker, australia melbourne, county court judge, melbourne april, moving car, nine years, old woman, post traumatic stress, psychological report, rape, rapes, sexual relations, sharifi, taliban, temporary protection visa, two women, victorian county court