Afghan government seeking peace talks with Taliban: ReportOctober 1st, 2008 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Oct 1 (Xinhua) Afghanistan is seeking to open reconciliation talks with the Taliban movement through the mediation of Saudi Arabia, Afghan web site Quqnoos reported Wednesday. “For two years now, I have been sending letters and messages to the Saudi Arabian king and requested him, as a world Muslim leader, to help us bring peace in Afghanistan,” Quqnoos quoted President Hamid Karzai as saying.
The web site said preparation for negotiations has been going on for some time past.
“Our envoys travelled many times to Saudi Arabia and to Pakistan, but the discussions have not started yet. We hope that it happens soon,” the president said.
Karzai’s statement Tuesday came following a report Sunday in British daily Observer that talks between Taliban and Afghan government with the support of Britain were going on.
However, Afghan foreign minister Rangin Dadfar Spanta told reporters Monday that no official contacts had been established with militants.
Taliban chief Mullah Mohammad Omar in a message on the eve of Eid-ul-Fitr ruled out any talks with Kabul so long foreign troops are present in Afghanistan.
- Karzai prays for welfare of Afghans - Aug 19, 2012
- Not talking to Haqqanis, our red lines are clear: Afghan NSA - Aug 31, 2010
- India to convey concerns about Taliban to Afghanistan - Aug 23, 2010
- Pakistan can't dictate ties with India: Afghan NSA - Sep 01, 2010
- Pak Army's proposal to mediate between US, Mullah Omar rejected: WikiLeaks - Dec 04, 2010
- Krishna meets Afghan President Karzai - Jul 19, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif "author of Islamic radicalism" in Afghanistan: Spanta - Dec 04, 2010
- Saudi Arabia halts Afghan mediation - Nov 07, 2010
- UAE president greets leaders on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Karzai again calls for national reconciliation - Jul 13, 2012
- Iran funding Afghan religious-political leaders, Taliban militants: WikiLeaks - Dec 03, 2010
- Dikshit greets people on Eid eve - Sep 10, 2010
- Afghan military officers to be trained in Pakistan - Jul 01, 2010
- India to resume medical missions in Afghanistan - Jul 20, 2010
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012