Afghan earthquake kills 20 (Second Lead)April 17th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 17 (DPA) At least 20 people were killed Friday in back-to-back earthquakes in eastern Afghanistan.
The first quake, with a magnitude of 5.4, struck shortly after midnight in Nangarhar province, a statement from President Hamid Karzai said.
A few hours later, a magnitude-5.1 tremor struck in the same region in the Hindu Kush mountains, the statement said.
At least 50 people were injured by falling rubble, and authorities were searching for more victims, officials said.
The Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority said the epicentre and the worst damage was in Shersad district, about 80 km east of Kabul.
Several villages saw the collapse of 200 to 300 houses, which are constructed primarily out of earth, said the authority’s director, Abdul Mateen Edrak.
The quake zone near the border with Pakistan had also seen heavy rains in the past several days, so many of the collapsed buildings were already damaged when the quakes struck, the authority said.
The Hindu Kush sees frequent earthquakes. A magnitude-6.4 quake in January caused damage along the Afghan-Pakistan border and into Kashmir.
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- 20 killed in Afghanistan quake (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 24 injured in China quake (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 5.3-magnitude quake shakes Pakistan - Jun 04, 2010
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 15 (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Quake hits Afghanistan - Sep 18, 2010
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan quake - Apr 19, 2010
- Houses collapse in Pakistan quake (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: collapsed buildings, disaster management, eastern afghanistan, epicentre, frequent earthquakes, hamid karzai, heavy rains, hindu kush mountains, kabul, kashmir, magnitude, management authority, mateen, national disaster, pakistan border, president hamid karzai, quake zone, quakes, rubble, tremor