Afghan district governor among 11 killed in Taliban attacksMay 6th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 6 (DPA) A district governor and three others were killed in a militant attack in northern Afghanistan, while seven police personnel were killed in a roadside blast in country’s southern region, officials said Wednesday.
Mohammad Muhsin, district governor for Dehna Ghori of northern Baghlan province, his son and two other government officials were killed when their vehicle was ambushed by Taliban militants in the district Wednesday morning, Jawid Basharat, spokesman for the provincial police chief said.
He said the attackers fled the area before police reinforcement arrived at the scene.
The northern region is relatively more peaceful than the country’s southern and eastern regions, where Taliban militants are most active. But insurgents appeared to have penetrated new areas in the northern provinces. Militants briefly overran a district in the same province last week.
In the southern province of Ghazni, seven policemen were killed and another was wounded when their vehicle was blown up by a roadside bomb in Andar Wednesday, Khialbaz Sherzoy, the provincial police chief, said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for both of Wednesday’s attacks.
The militants launched a countrywide offensive last week, vowing to increase their attacks on Afghan government officials and around 70,000 international troops stationed in Afghanistan.
- Taliban behead six Afghan policemen - Jul 21, 2010
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- NATO airstrike kills 25 Taliban in Afghanistan (Lead) - May 29, 2010
- Seven Afghan troops, two Taliban killed in post-poll violence - Aug 23, 2009
- Over 40 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Apr 26, 2012
- NATO soldier, six workers killed in Afghanistan - Jul 06, 2010
- Terrorist attack foiled in Kabul - Nov 30, 2011
- Three civilians among 17 killed in Afghan violence - Jun 19, 2010
- Three NATO soldiers among 11 killed in Afghanistan - May 04, 2010
- Three US soldiers, three Afghan police killed in bomb blasts - Aug 02, 2009
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- NATO soldier, 14 Taliban fighters killed in Afghanistan - Jun 01, 2010
- Taliban exploiting openings in neglected northern Afghan province - Jul 30, 2010
- 11 policemen, district governor killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- 24 dead in Afghan poll violence - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: afghan government, attackers, district governor, eastern regions, ghori, government officials, international troops, kabul, militants, mohammad, muhsin, northern afghanistan, northern provinces, police chief, policemen, provincial police, reinforcement, roadside bomb, southern province, wednesday morning